Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 06-28-2011   #21
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
randy Randy!

Do it - Brown's is totally doable for kids... particularly when there are the # of boats there will be in the next few weeks.

Ask for a senior guide, have a good time.

trickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #22
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008

Check out the videos posted in the "Browns at 3200" thread. It might help you decide. It will give you an idea of what to expect anyway.

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #23
fort chronic, Colorado
Paddling Since: '97
ok as a guide and a parent, here's my 2 cents...
my dad took me and my brother down the yampa at dinosaur at high water when i was 7 (don't know the flow cause i was 7, but it was on my birthday in mid june so probly pretty high). i was totally freaked for the first 15 minutes, then had the time of my young life the rest of the trip. it got me hooked on whitewater and now boating is my only hobby i'm actually passionate about. led me into the funnest job i've ever had too. probably the wrong place for a 7 year old, but i've guided for families with younger thru the big stuff on the poudre many times.
high water's no joke tho. anywhere. if you're doubting it, go do an easier stretch somewhere else.
plus browns sucks. like 50some companies running it.. screw that. way to much traffic
that being said i still haven't taken my 13yo daughter on the class 4's on the poudre. but she can't swim well and is freaked out enough by the 2/3 stuff i take her on. so i don't try to push it, at least with my own kid!!
but as many have said browns isn't too super crazy. request the dirty raggity 47 year old guide with no shoes and tip the shit out of him
bigkahunaburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #24
Going to really depend on the kids. 13, I wouldn't hesitate with provided he/she is in reasonably good shape and is excited about the opportunity. 10 is on the borderline but would probably be ok depending on his/her attitude and comfort with water.

As to those that say you should wait til they can self-rescue, I think that is BS since a large majority of adult rafting customers can't self-rescue.
"It's All Good"
BobN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #25
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
As a guide, I hate taking little kids in big stuff. When they fall out of the boat they typically freeze up--I haven't seen any do much in the way of self rescue. It always amazes me that parents would risk their small children in swollen rivers. They seem to think it is an amusement park thrill ride rather than an outing with danger, clearly described in the liability waiver.
When asked by the parent if I think it's safe for their kids, I answer, "Can you have more children?"
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011   #26
welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
I really like the post by momma . She is absoultely right . I took my 7 year old twins and 9year old grandchildren down browns last week at 2300-3000 . The water was easier @3000 than lower levels.these kids have been floating since 5 and 7 years old . I f you float hire a company that provides good gear and you should be fine , the level of compedence of the guides we saw on browns was out standing . I ran a 143 aire with my daughter and my grand son [9year old ]we avoided big drop but ran the meat on every thing else. we took out at helca and did not run sidels . Now for the younger crew I had a 20' maravia with 24 inch tubes . That may be over kill but we all had a blast . Safety is the key on all of it . My crew all have wet suits,paddling jackets.booties, helmets and very good pfds. They are use to a rescue rope and we have practiced in the summer in moving water. My older children are used to using a rope and know how to rescue people in the water. In fact I was blown off my 143 and my daughter pulled me in the raft . It was so cool to see her in action. She did all the right things . Any way use common river sense and if you go commerical TIP YOUR GUIDE !!!
ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011   #27
Austin, Texas
Thanks to everyone who responded. Lots of great advice provided and I really appreciate it. Talked to the kids last night and I think we will leave the 10 year old home with grandma. He seemed a little hesitant after talking about the dangers and that was enough to convince me isn't ready yet. The 13 year old is excited about it and understands the risk. He is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders and I think he can handle the situation. I'll give a little post trip report when I return home. Oh and I do plan to tip our guide very well. Thanks again!
speer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011   #28
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Good call I say on the 10 y/o. It's been awhile since I have been down that way but you may consider a quick trip on the milk run above browns too get used to the feel. Wear all the gear available (the water is really cold)! I never want to scare the love for the river out of my kids, by going too big too soon. I took my 8 y/o out (private trip/lower flows) on browns last year (just ruby to hecla) and she did great, but she has been doing floats since she was three. Stick with the 1/2 day, avoid the suckhole. Yes, ask for a senior guide. listen/paddle hard, and tip em big. Have an awesome time!
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
Butte.Allures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011   #29
Gnarnia, Colorado
Originally Posted by bob larrabee View Post
Take $150.00 and show it to the guide BEFORE your tip. Put this money into your children's pockets in plain view of everyone on the trip. Tell all the guides that if the children fall in the river so does their tip. Pick out the most unkept guide with the oldest dirtiest life jacket, if it has duct tape, even better. If you want to be safe do not go with the young, good looking, clean, brand new gear wearing guide, who is on summer break from some stupid college.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011   #30
ebbing, flowing..., CO, NM
Paddling Since: 1985
I totally think you made the right decision with difference between the 10 & 13 year olds! So I took a 12 year old girl down this morning, she paddled from Fishermans Bridge to the Canyon, & then I had her just hold on through all the big stuff. She was a stout kid with allot of enthusiasm, she did great & Loved every minute of it! We also gave big drop as wide a girth as is humanly possible (but gutted zoom flume & it was beautiful!) Anyways... Big Drop... ok... so a boat from another company (we shall all remain completely anonymous here...) filpped just before we came through... we picked up one very shook up man on river right & delivered him to the rest of his boatless group on river left... I was rather upset to see that the group consisted of at least 2-3 kids... You know, many hits (like pyramid rock in zoom flume) are very friendly at this level, some (like big drop,) are not. Also, as ranchman said, they all get much crunchier below 3 grand... so regardless of the flows next week when you guys go, maybe just ask your guide to boat conservatively. In my opinion, there was no reason for that boat load of kids to be anywhere near big drop today... so yeah, request a senior guide & ask him/her to take conservative lines, you will have a blast! & um, btw... just curious... do you know if you will be taking out at Hecla Junction, or does the company your going with run Sidels as part of their half day? cuz Sidels is a whole 'nother story...

Journeys of a River Mamma Blog "Ever onward, ever forward, ever down the River!"- Ed Abbey
RiverMamma is offline   Reply With Quote