What is a good PFD for rowers with high seat back on the raft - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 07-22-2016   #1

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
What is a good PFD for rowers with high seat back on the raft

For the rear seat rower what is a good choice of PFD with a high seat back?

Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2016   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
I picked up an Astral Ronny last year because of the low profile back, works well on my highback rower's seat. My old NRS Ninja kept hooking on the seat and got annoying.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #3

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Not sure how wild you go in whitewater, but I have an NRS Chinook that would be great with a high back seat. I use it on my fishing cataraft.

NRS Chinook Mesh Back Fishing PFD at nrs.com
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2016   #4

Hi,

I have never felt any interference from my HiFloat with the back of my high back NRS seat.

The seat back leans to the rear, and the back of the PFD is relatively flat, so when rowing normally I don't notice any contact. And when I do lean back with a hard pull, the PFD is really just an extra cushioning layer across my whole back.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #5
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I run a high back seat and wear a NRS Big Water Guide PFD with a full back, no problems. I think that I lean forward most of the time anyway so I dont even notice.
Old 07-23-2016   #6
OC1Rolls

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
I run a high back seat and wear a NRS Big Water Guide PFD with a full back, no problems. I think that I lean forward most of the time anyway so I dont even notice.
Same. I bought this one for that same reason.Some of the shorty kayak pfds were short enough to catch on my seat back. It's a bit bulky but wears well.
OC1Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Lots of good info above, however the question you should be asking is, "What is a good PFD for a rafter who plans to boat ___ type of water?" Then questions about adjustments to the frame, rowing position, what kind of seat, etc., come after that.

Pick your PFD based on what will bring you back to the surface of the water and work best for the use you'll have, not based on what kind of seat you'll have.

Stay safe,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I have a low back profile with mesh for use with our raft that has a high back seat. My husband just bought a new "summer pfd" (non hifloat) and there are quite a few ones out there with lower profile backs.
Old 07-25-2016   #9

Montrose, Colorado
+ 1 for the Ronny, It is a very comfortable PFD with a thin, vented back.

Also +1 for having the right tool for the job. I only wear the Ronny where comfort is the primary concern. Anytime I am on bigger water I wear a Big Water Guide for the additional flotation and tighter fit it provides.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016   #10

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks to all.
I picked up a Astal yesterday. Like the thin, slotted, mesh back. Should be good for rowing and hot summer days. I stick to III or less for I fly fishing. Opted for the Linda in glacier blue for it matches the horizon the best. If the fish can see you, you won't see the fish. You wearing a WOMENS PFD but standing tall in my Simms waders and a Stogie. Until a stray ash melts a hole and sinks me.
Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote