Old 09-22-2015   #21
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I tow with a Silverado 1500HD, 4 door, shortbox or a 2010 Taco long bed crew cab, v6. The taco does fine, no issues with power, but the mileage drops to 12-14 mpg towing the raft and all our gear. 15' boat is a big sail behind the Toyota. Chevy gets 12 mpg - empty, full, hauling ass or limping along. I'd much rather road trip in the chevy as it's WAY more comfortable than the Toyota, but usually the mileage wins out. Going to a newer 3/4 ton ford in the near future, can't decide between gas or diesel - that or the half ton Ram diesel if no more problems creep up.

Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
I was originally waiting for the Tundra diesel, but if you look that article was from early 2014. There has really been little new discussed on it since, so I'll believe it when I see it.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #22
98 4Runner v6. I definitely lose some speed and power, but that's mostly due to the trailer I'm hauling being exceptionally heavy. Plenty of room for gear, people and animals. I think overall you would be most pleased with a v8, either suv or double cab truck, but a v6 will certainly get the job done and save some money both on initial purchase and fuel.

protechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #23
Craigamerica, -
Have been around a couple 5.7 Tundras I was not impressed with the fuel milage or the towing capabilities. They had a lot of power just didn't haul the gear and trailer well.
If your looking for a mid size I'd look into a Ford Eco Boost. They seem to tow well and get great mileage. I'd get one with the 3.73 gears and tow mirrors. 3.53s will be ok but you'll be working the tranny a lot harder over the passes. I think they still offer a max tow package with 4.10s . My dad has an 04 f-150 with a max tow package with 4.10 gears, seven lug wheels bigger radiator and tranny cooler and a few other things. The truck pulls two stacked 16ft cats nice also does pretty good pulling a 8000lb camper. But if you not pulling a lot the max tow package with the 4.10 might be a little much.
Or just buy a real truck and get a four door long bed diesel.
No one cares that you are a river guide
sledhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #24
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Here is how I haul my 16' RMR cat with 4 people in my truck. I can maintain 75mph through the mountains no problem.

Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #25
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
07 Toyota Tacoma. V6 auto.

Will tow anything I can get on the hitch. For a little ways anyway.
Good gas mileage for a truck, reliable (100,000 miles and zero problems), not expensive compared to anything else.

If you want to have the extra capacity go for the Tundra crew cab extended bed.

Or, sell your rig, make new friends who have boats, and buy a Honda.
All a matter of cost VS benefit
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #26
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
With my mods, I get minimum of 16 mpg towing a full trailer with the camper on and can haul ass as well.

Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
The aire craft carrier, 2001 Tundra 8 cylinder, with headers, upgraded chip, cold air intake, and after market tranny cooler among other mods carrying an aire SDP, aire puma, and 7 aire IKs and all gear for a 9 person 4 day trip.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #27
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
2008 V6 Toyota 4-Runner. Hauls my smaller trailer, 14 foot raft, and gear likes it's not even there. We used it to tow my buddy's big trailer with his 16 foot raft, my 14 foot cat and all our gear from Utah to Oregon for a Rogue trip a few years ago. No problem. Towed like a champ and did a little better on gas than his V8 4-Runner would have. Enough room for 4 adult humans and a big chocolate Lab river dog to be comfortable.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #28
Grand Junction, Colorado
03 trailblazer Ext V6 3 row seating with a 8 foot trailer 14 foot raft
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #29
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Curently an '06 Outback wagon w/ the 2.5L engine. Before that I towed with a 94 Legacy wagon w/ the 2.2L engine which did just fine towing a fully-inflated and loaded raft on a modified SledBed tilt-bed aluminum trailer. With the Legacy: I've hauled a ton of stuff including kayaks and gear for multi-days. Cruising at 75 - 85 on the freeway, barely noticing the trailer until going up a hill, then dropping to 55 - 50 in 3rd on the steeper parts only. The wind drag of towing two rigged boats was about the only thing that really made a noticeable difference.

Don't let the tail wag the dog. I figured out that by having a car that gets 25 mpg (4 cyl) instead of 18 mpg (6 cyl), there's about a $5K gas cost savings over 100K miles of vehicle life - way more than enough to pay for a premium aluminum trailer. The Legacy was still towing just fine up til the end when it had 300K miles on it, carrying more gear on a rigged and loaded boat than shown in the photos of Shap's truck above. With a 2.2L four banger.

If you get a lighter trailer you won't need so much power up front to tow your boat and it'll pay for itself over the life of the vehicle.

Here's the 2.2L Legacy, loaded for a multi-day trip.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #30
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
The Legacy was still towing just fine until it had 300K miles on it, carrying more gear on a rigged and loaded boat than shown in the photos of Shap's truck above
That all make sense and sounds good, but can you drive over logs or get in, and more importantly, back out of any place in the Owyhee basin upstream of Rome

Yes, thats me face down in the mud again!

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote