Old 09-22-2015   #11
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
'05 Honda Pilot. 148,000 miles. At least 6,000 miles towing 1 or 2 fully loaded boats. With 2 kids and a dog it works well for us. Just about any modern van, suv, or pickup has plenty of power for towing a raft or two.

May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #12
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
2002 Dodge Dakota 4 Dr w/ 4.7 V8 and a Topper.

So far, a great rig. Comparable power and gas mileage to my buddy's 4 Dr Tacoma. Very comfortable inside, have hauled 6 people Split Mtn takeout to Front Range which was tight but doable. I think a topper on a pickup is ugly, but it increases the usefulness dramatically. Typical load for me is two inflated boats on a trailer, 4 adults in the cab and the bed loaded heavy with coolers, boxes, water, etc. Dodge costs about half what a comparable Toyota costs and is maybe even more reliable, at least as comfortable. There, I said it, let the trash talk begin!

the Capt

Don't Wanna Die Askin' for Another Chance
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #13
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
The aire craft carrier, 2001 Tundra 8 cylinder, with headers, upgraded chip, cold air intake, and after market tranny cooler among other mods carrying an aire SDP, aire puma, and 7 aire IKs and all gear for a 9 person 4 day trip.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #14
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
99' Forester for 6 or 7 years now. Use to tow an Aire 156R now a 15' Wave Destroyer. Looking to upgrade to 2013 6 cylinder Outback in the next year or two, though.
Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #15
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
4.0 L V6 '13 Tacoma 4-door long bed with a topper and rack and it has no problem. Family of 3, big dog. Trailer weighs about 400 pounds. Room to spare in the back and the rack is there for a rocket box or a buddy's canoe if needed.
Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #16
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I want a convertible vehicle for towing. The tow capacity of a vehicle is a combination of it's actual weight, powerplant, cooling and a few other items. The two biggest elements of that are vehicle weight and powerplant.

So, I could see having a removable ballast and an engine that can run 4 or 6 cylinders. Being that I tow maybe 5% of the time, the rest of the time it would run as a lighter more fuel efficient vehicle. Then when I tow, I would add the ballast and it would kick on the larger engine capacity.

I want a 4-banger or hybrid for around town and then be able to convert it to a Tundra/F-150/what-have-you for towing.
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #17
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Here comes the Toyota tundra diesel next year!

Toyota Tundra to Get Cummins Diesel V-8 – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #18
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Honda element. Definitely labors in the mountains, but we manage. Just the wife, our 6 year old little guy and I, towing a 16' DRE with a fishing frame.

I post mostly just to make the point that you may not need as much power/car as you think you do. That said, we are new car shopping and the next family vehicle will definitely be a 6 cylinder.
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #19
For day boating with a light trailer and a 12' cat, the Prius works fine.
Two week trips to Idaho with a bit more gear and I take a 3.0L minivan so I can sleep inside.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #20
Jackson, Wyoming
2010 V6 4dr Tacoma. Pull a Sawtooth welding trailer (with under deck storage) Trailer is about 1100 empty, haul a 14' Sotar, and trailer full of gear. Have done Deso with a couple other rafts rolled and loaded, 4 people and gear for 6 for a week. Lots of day trips with a 3 stack on top. Plenty of power, even in the mountains, and plenty of brakes, too (thats the big one, dont care how fast it will go, you have to be able to stop it safely). We tow enough to justify a bigger truck, but the Taco does a great job, and fits the parking lot at the grocery store better.

wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote