Old 08-23-2015   #31
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
The way the Westwater permit situation works now is that there is no incentive to cancel except if you care about someone else being able to get the cancellation. The permit holder will lose money either way. I'm one of several people who would be able to rally a trip within hours if only one trip cancelled and there was a way to find out about it and pick up the cancelled permit on a weekend. Sadly people can just not show up for whatever reason and no one can use that permit. It's also not so easy to get a Saturday permit in the summer even if you can be re-dialing your phone for a half hour instead of working from 8-8:30 on the one day that you have a chance to secure that day. The permit policy that is in place now is not very user friendly for me and I'm sure for others and I would welcome some changes, notably a more efficient way to pick up cancelled permits.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015   #32
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
This is ridiculous. The people paid. They can show or not - whatever they want. I'm in a hotel this morning that I drove 13 hours to get to yesterday. I paid in advance. If I hadn't made it I would not have been refunded and the room would have been held. This is how reservations work when they are pre-paid. What if someone has a flat on a trailer in the middle of nowhere? You people want to penalize them now for not using the resources that they paid for? Shit happens and now the canyon is less busy for a day!
You dont get it on several levels. One hasn't been mentioned: The BLM manages thousands of square miles of land. The cost of the permits in no way comes even close to the costs for managing the BLM's land. You cant compare the costs for a hotel room and a river permit. The river permit is a much more limited resource and doesn't have a direct dollar value like the nightly rate at the hotel room.

The more these permits get used the better the value to the taxpayers. The more (number) of people that get the chance to enjoy these special places the better for many reasons that are hard to put a dollar value on (use your imagination).

afox is offline   Reply With Quote