Old 03-16-2013   #31
Eldorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I would not run Westwater, much less go to Cisco if Snake Pliskin isn't on the trip.

M-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #32
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
This stuff is no joke. When I used to run westwater ten years ago I had no problems camping out at the Cisco boat ramp. Last September on the other hand, myself and a couple of other people from our trip made the grave mistake of camping at the takeout, and this is what we woke up to. I will never camp anywhere near Cisco again!

Mark the dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #33
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I was driving shuttle to Cisco several years ago to stage vehicles. It was only my second whitewater trip and my first multi-day so I was nervous as hell, my buds having talked up Skull like it was almost certain carnage. I was snacking on an apple while driving on I70, thinking about swimming for my life followed by climbing a cliff to escape the room of doom, and when I was done rolled down the passenger side window to chuck the core only I accidentally rolled down the rear passenger side window. The core detonated like a grenade only inches from my face on the still-closed front passenger side window and sprayed bits of apple all over the inside of my car. I almost drove off the highway. I was driving by myself so no one else shared the moment.

Cisco landing looked like just another boat ramp parking lot to me. It's a good thing I read this thread and know how dangerous it is. Next time I'll bring my gun and leave the apple at home.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #34
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05

I have both been inside the store to buy stuff, and purchased ammo cans at the road-side stand and lived to tell the tale. But always during the daylight...

What gets me is that damn bridge. Every time I come to it I feel like I'm at the critical moment in some terrible questing rpg. Over the bridge? Or Around?
Choose wisely...

Either way, I'm pretty sure there's a few trolls hanging out underneath it in this thread.
LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #35
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Spent the whole day at Cisco by myself, lived to tell the tale. Only oddities were the sound of car doors closing twice but no one else was around, maybe it was just my imagination?

Also, SUPed with my dog up to the island just before the takeout, checked out the shrine in the cavern and stood up a Carlisle oar I found on the island in a pile of rocks. It still has a usable handle and oarsleeves on it, though the extender on the end and the oar itself have seen better days, no blade on it.

That island has a rainbow of rocks on it too, literally a rainbow - can't be that bad of a place if it has rainbow colors right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Westwater, snow etc 056.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	5752  

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote