Old 03-15-2013   #21
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
I have, and that's why I put out this post, to help find those threads again.

I'm still searching but still not having much luck. Again, the only one I can find is this one:

Is it OK to camp at Cisco?

Still looking for that elusive first post (maybe from 2009ish?) with the rest of the weird Cisco tales...
This was the only weird Cisco thread I could find with the search:

Occupy Cisco, who knew?

something like 250 threads with the word Cisco in it....

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #22
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
the "berg" of cisco is a really unusual place. I always think the light is so cool looking on all the weird and colorful things.

Back when the general store was open, they had a camera on the stop sign and used to yell at people that blew threw it from the porch of the store.

We did a trip in October 2011 and there was a "local" father and son who had about 15 #5 soccer balls lined up along the west side of the road. They were working on something, but every time a car drove down the road that they judged was going to fast, they would kick a ball or two at it.

brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #23
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
I've camped there alot. I've hung out there while waiting for hung over friends to show up. I've never been approached by anyone but other boaters, or guests of the commercial trips. There are some cows sometimes and they can keep you awake at night.

The only strange thing I have ever had happen was to witness some guys on the the other side of the river shot some Turkey's out of season.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #24
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I haven't explored the old gas station with the white buffalo mural since the roof collapsed. I recall having a strange feeling I was being watched while wondering how all the bizarre items ended up on display like it was a museum.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #25
Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
some of that yardart looks like it is right out of a mad max film

could be the same with the locals, but like others, i have never seen more than beady eyes staring

may be more interesting now, but i liked it better 25 years ago, before it was 'rediscovered'
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #26

Cisco had its glory days.

Go rent "Thelma and Louise" and see what that station on the corner once looked like (or at least what Hollywood made it look like). I don't know if the old geezer there in the movie was an actor or a local, but the field across from the station is where they blew up the tanker truck in the movie.

When the store was open in Cisco, I used to go in and try to find something to buy to keep it going. I really thought it was a benefit to boaters coming and going to the river. The soda was occasionally sort of cooled off. I don't think they ever had a cold beer. They never carried coffee in the morning -- which I repeatedly suggested to them and they repeatedly said they'd do, but never did. The crowning touch for me was when I went to buy a packaged sandwich and it was something like six weeks outdated. Sort of gave up after that...

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #27
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Really nice light in that first pic. That's about as best as anything in Cisco can look.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #28
I in fact did have a very sketchy Cisco experience, it may be the one you are talking about.

Pulled in at 1 AM because wife and I were too tired to drive and figured it would be a good place to crash for the night before continuing on I-70. We pull into the takeout parking lot and start taking our paco pads and sleeping bags out when a man approaches us with a headlamp on. He ends up being an older guy who seems fairly drunk. He keeps pacing around our car looking in and commenting on our "nice stuff". After looking at him closely for what dangers he might pose, I notice a handgun tucked into his left jean pocket and his flannel shirt hanging over it and covering it up at most times. I only caught a glimpse of it. I noticed he was moving pretty slow in all his actions so instead of commenting on the guy, I decide I will stay close to him and if I see him move the flannel shirt out of the way, I will grab the gun before he can. He continues pacing around with me close by for a few minutes really checking out our "nice stuff".

All of a sudden he flings his flannel shirt out of the way on the left side and I lung about 6 feet towards him and grab the gun before he can. "I start shouting "What the f@$k you have this for old man?, what the f#$k old man". He says "oh, that's to keep the pelicans from steeling my fish" and he tries to downplay it. I tell him to go to bed and we will give him his gun back in the morning. He leaves and we start to lay down for the night.

Then we notice a red blinking light on the hill behind the takeout moving towards us. He thought he had turned his headlamp off and was sneaking up on us, but he had only turned it to the red flashing setting. As he got close we decided, "screw this place, we're out of here", we threw our stuff in and drove off. As we were driving off I threw the gun out the window on the upstream side of the dirt road. It might still be there as you come down the hill to the takeout. We found a fantastic camping spot just 1 mile downstream that we use now we are doing late night Cicso stopovers.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #29
alta, Utah
10 years ago, a friend and I were taking his RV to the takeout for a 3day weekend of running laps on westwater in off season.....1:00 or 2:00 am coming downhill just prior to that little bridge the back passenger side window of his truck violently implodes. When we inspect and clean up the glass we find a mushroomed 22 round. In other words, someone took a shot at the truck nearly missing our heads. We looked for people, tracks, movement in the area where the shot originated. Saw/heard nothing. Had a great weekend of boating. BA
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #30
Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I boat with a guy that lived in Cisco years ago... when we are overnighting on WestWater I sleep with one eye open and trained in his direction at all times.

DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote