Wedging in a cooler - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-11-2016   #11

Calgary, Alberta
I have a 13' RMR with the same stated interior width and I bought the exact same cooler.

I do have to wedge it in. With no thwarts the interior dimension is a bit less.

It doesn't have any noticeable effect on the boat so far. It is funny (visually) that the front of the boat is a bit wider than the back (which is only noticeable when I see how the frame sits on the tubes).

If anything it probably tightens the boat up a bit... and I really love the cooler so I'm happy with my purchase. So many good features and ice holding is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Mountain Buzz mobile app

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016   #12

Rifle, Colorado
I have a 12' Maravia and a Canyon Prospector. I did have to wedge it in a bit, but I haven't noticed any excess wear and tear. I will try and post some pictures later. I would highly recommend going with the Canyon, it's a fantastic design.
JPG87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #13

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
It will work. I have that same situation with my Spider and had it with my Puma. Sometimes I do have to let air out to get the cooler in but it works well and is held snug. I always run loop straps over.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #14

Flagstaff, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
But where will you stash your empties?!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I call that the "live well" where I keep 'em river cold.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
NorthernAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016   #15

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Hey Bighorn- Thanks for this thread.
We have never been in the market for a "good" cooler. Our Igloo worked fine for us, and we had a seat on a board on top. I always thought that the good coolers were too tall for our setup. Well, we are re-configuring our rigging, we have ditched the seat and can now stand a bit more height above the rail. With our igloo, we'd still need a board because the lid is not sound on it's own. What better solution than to upgrade to a good cooler and we won't need that stupid board anymore!

The drain plug in the center is going to be AWESOME! No more pain trying to open the side drain as it is so hard to get a hand in between it and the tubes. Yeehaw! Better ice storage!!!

There can never be too many cooler posts on the Buzz......
Old 09-21-2016   #16

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
This is a follow up report. I got my 12 RMR with a drop stitch floor, Canyon prospector cooler 103 qt. Spent most of the day designing the frame. What I now know is the cooler fits perfectly with a little shoving (put it in before inflating past 1 lb). The distance from the top of the floor to the top of the tube on a drop stitch floor is 12 compared to the standard floor of 10. To the top of the frame 13 5.8 (perfect fit). No discernable width difference on tubes after wedging. More to come later. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00047.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	921.7 KB
ID:	12328   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00046.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	982.5 KB
ID:	12329  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00044.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	12330  
Old 09-21-2016   #17

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Looks really nice. Really nice. I think the tight fit will help firm up the raft. Jealous a prospector cooler doesn't wedge into my super puma. Stuck with the tall canyon 75, which I love, but needs straps below. Maybe canyon will make a mini prospector 60 or something
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #18

Denver, Colorado
Hey, aren't those Canyon coolers the ones that used to be Saturn coolers?
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #19

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
Im assuming you have used pvc for a frame before? How long does it last? Are you only using it on mellow floats? Or running class 4? Just a mock up to figure what you want made later? Im very intrigued. looks great!
Quiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #20

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiggle View Post
Im assuming you have used pvc for a frame before? How long does it last? Are you only using it on mellow floats? Or running class 4? Just a mock up to figure what you want made later? Im very intrigued. looks great!
I buy the pvc, make a mock up, return all the joints for refund and save all the pipe for the next time. Costs about $20-$30 to do a mock up before doing a build from 1.66 OD aluminum pipe. The mock up you are looking at with a foot bar and oar locks final cost will be about $400 including shipping. It helps me plan and visualize the final product. I will post final photos and costs when done.