Water inside Paco Pad - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2017   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Water inside Paco Pad

Kids were having too much fun floating on my paco with the valves open. I can feel that the pad is noticeably heavier. I'm sure there is some soaked water in the foam. Obviously I have rolled it tight in an attempt to squeeeeeze out any water. Even put more squeeze using cam straps. Currently have it hanging upside down baking in the sun hoping to have some water evap with the summer heat. Very open to other ideas or tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

markfortcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2017   #2

I copied this directly from the FAQ's on JPW web site.

My Pad has soaked up a bunch of water. What can I do to fix it?
When a pad is full of water, it will not work very well. Try to avoid floating on a pad that has holes, a bad, or open valve. The easiest way to get the water out is to hang the pad upside down with the valve down for about 2 weeks. Every day you must take a minute to try and squeeze the water out through the valve. When you can not get any more water out, place the pad in a warm area. Place it on the the south side of the house, where the sun can heat up the remaining water, and turn it into vapor. Then suck the air out with a shop vacuum. If you do this for a couple of days when the pad is at its hottest, you will be able to get all of the water out. This does not take as long as you may think, just a couple of minutes a day.

One other way is to cut the bottom of the pad off, dry out the foam, and reseal the end. If you prefer this method, call us, and we will fax you instructions and a drawing of how to put the cover back together with our glue.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017   #3

cedar city, Utah
I would hang it upside down in the shade myself as I think more water would eventually drain out than water vapor (which i think tends to climb). Maybe not.

I hooked up my hand pump and used the deflate to suck water out. I got a ton that way. I have heard of people doing similar with a shop vac.

Worst case, you can cut it open and then sun dry open celled foam then repair according to directions on the JPW site.

Prepare for it to smell after a while. I never cut mine open but beware i think there is a strong chance if you don't some water will remain for a while. It did in mine. And that makes for a cold pad in the shoulder season.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2017   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Did the JPW recommendation. Cut mine open and hung it upside down with a fan running underneath (not directly). Don't let the foam come out! Once dried I cut some foam off and re-glued. The new shorter version fits the kids, wife, and boat as a seat pad better anyway.
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for the input. I tried the shopvac technique today after work. So satisfying to see water removed. Ha! Going to bake it in the sun now and vac suck everyday. Hopefully it all comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
markfortcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Years ago I pondered the effect my breath had on the foam inside my old, beat thermarest after blowing it up each night after sitting around the fire having a few (ok, sometimes more than a few) cold ones. After giving that some thought I don't really want to know what its like in there...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote