Urethane Coat Maravia Floor? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-26-2016   #1

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2012
Urethane Coat Maravia Floor?

I am in the market for a new 16 boat to truck my family of 5 down the river, and to run big water. Among the finalists are a Maravia Typhoon and a Mistral. As I understand it, the floors of new Maravias are 40 oz. PVC and come standard with urethane-taped seams, but no urethane coating like the rest of the boat. I spoke with Maravia and the floor can be urethane-coated for something like $300. The floor coat is 2 layers, as compared to the 5 layers of urethane that are sprayed on the 18 oz. PVC used for the tubes.

Maravia owners, do you have any recommendations here? Do the uncoated floors have reasonably good durability, so that I should not worry about urethane coating until 10+ years down the road, when the floor might need some reconditioning anyway? I assume that coating would make the boat significantly harder to roll (fold), but I would store at least partially inflated so no concerns there.

For now the boat will be used mainly for desert southwest rivers, although when the kids get older (now 8, 3, and 3) we will expand horizons to Oregon and Idaho.

dsafarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2016   #2

Portland, Oregon
Bought a williwaw circa 2010 --- boat needs nothing extra at all --- if you want to buy peace of mind I get it but does not seem necessary to me --- can get more utility with those $'s elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I bought a Maravia New Wave 3 in 1989 that came with a urethane floor. It was noticeably slicker than the replacement floor without urethane that I bought two years ago. Slick might help on low water trips. No real difference in rolling (both suck). Worth $300? Can't say one way or the other.
Old 08-27-2016   #4

Paddling Since: 1994
It isnt going to get coated professionally down the road for $300.

The coated floor will be tougher and will slide of rocks better than the PVC will. If I was going to drop the loot for a new maravia and could get the bottom of the floor coated for $300 I probably would.
Old 08-28-2016   #5

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Three hundred bucks dosent really change the purchase price that much on such a premium boat. I'd probably lean towards doing it but I'd also be planning on two decades of use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Three hundred bucks dosent really change the purchase price that much on such a premium boat. I'd probably lean towards doing it but I'd also be planning on two decades of use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
That is what I was thinking. I didn't realize that the floors don't normally come coated but at the price of a Maravia $300 seems like very little.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #7

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
I just bought the typhoon this year. I think if I had known I would have paid for the floor. I got a hole going over a rock last summer on my Maravia Diablo. However, it will add a lot of weight to a boat that is already pretty heavy.

As far as deciding between the two, what did it for me was seeing the two rafts side by side leaned up against the wall in the factory. The diminished tubes on the Typhoon double the amount of space in the bow and stern. It was the best visual I have ever seen on the difference between the two. And it made the decision super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #8

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks much for all the input so far! Yeah I've been thinking that if I'm going to spend $6000+ (at fall sales prices), might as well pop for the urethaned floor as well.

Dr.Andy, is that your Youtube video showing how to winch a boat onto a trailer with elevated bed? . I will be trying that soon. Is the boat in the video your Typhoon or Diablo?
dsafarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #9

Nampa, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafarik View Post
Thanks much for all the input so far! Yeah I've been thinking that if I'm going to spend $6000+ (at fall sales prices), might as well pop for the urethaned floor as well.

Dr.Andy, is that your Youtube video showing how to winch a boat onto a trailer with elevated bed? . I will be trying that soon. Is the boat in the video your Typhoon or Diablo?
Yes. That's my daughter winching my new Typhoon onto our trailer after its maiden voyage. By the way, I love it. I lurked for years watching Kazak trick his Typhoon out. I finally bought a used Diablo and got my feet wet. Last winter I finally got to add my dream boat, the Typhoon . I love having both rafts now, the 16' and the 14'.
Old 09-01-2016   #10

Nampa, Idaho
My winch is a dual speed, but I only ever use the one speed. My kids sometimes use the low gear.