Old 04-30-2016   #31
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1967
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
...Carry a full topo map of the area...
Just sent the suggestion to the folks at that links to some source for topo maps would be a useful addition to the Boater Guides & Maps page. What they do have organized there is great... and seems comprehensive, so didn't prompt us to think about the "larger picture."

fortboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #32
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
That takes some serious balls, or lack there of, to write a response like that. I find it highly offensive. Flying in a snow storm, in wind, in to a tight canyon to risk your life for a couple folks that clearly were un-prepared to be there, is not a funny joke, and it ain't a training mission. Its a very serious mission indeed.
I think I read this differently from you.. I interpreted as (They are trained to do this stuff, and it's what they do for a living, they're damn good at it and this just adds to their experience) it's true that not all helicopter pilots are trained the same. But my old man could land a helo on the fantail of a destroyer cruising upwards of 20kn in some pretty rough seas. And I'm sure whoever is is flying left seat in a black hawk has enough hours under their belt to be a pretty bad ass pilot.

"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #33
cedar city, Utah
Its easy for these threads to go sideways because of simple misunderstanding. I have been on both sides of the conversation in such occasions. Internet is prone to such outcomes. I think there is still room for understanding and listening before succumbing to harsh judgement and the like. I have been following the thread with interest and always learn alot even when the words shared aren't loyal to my preferences.

Could be wrong in the long run. As someone who has unfortunately needed SAR assistance I can tell you the entire process is complex and can take years to unpackage. That is also the case as someone who has initiated SAR for friends and been on the outside while events unfold. Its rarely black and white.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #34
Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
I knew there was going to be trouble when I got to the part about " 3 engineers working together" . I've found its hard enough to keep one out of trouble much less 3. But there have been some good suggestions here and I'm glad everyone is safe. I usually float with an ex air traffic controller, who once landed a copter in a really tight spot,at night to get me out after a horse kicked my spleen in two. We all owe the rescue people a big thank you .

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #35
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1967

The next party up the line has been in touch with me and it sounds like they have most or all of our remaining flotsam. Or jetsam, I guess it would be, since we cut it loose. I gather they got off the river today, but were close enough to see the Black Hawk fly in on Monday.
fortboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #36
Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Copter pilots fly from the right.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #37
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Chopper pilots put them selves in harms way by selecting the job they do, And I salute them.

Every mission an army pilot does that is not in a war zone is a training mission and it is good to train as you fight. I have never met an Army chopper pilot that was mad because he had to save someone. And I have know a good many.

The only thing I have seen here from Fortboise is gratitude toward the rescue personel.

He got in to deep and was not prepared. Lesson learned. Bet he will be more prepared the next time. It is not his fault he was not born an expert whitewater boatman, navy seal, and all around rambo like the rest of us.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #38
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
two words : stringfellow hawke .
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #39
Bozeman, Montana
Hey Curtis. Very well said. That's how I felt while reading his posts.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016   #40
Grants Pass, Oregon
Dang!! That was some adventure. Good to hear all three of you made it out safe. I can only imagine how I would have felt when the bad weather came in.

Cheers to Malheur Search and Rescue and the Army National Guard.

Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote