Upper Colorado Red Dirt Creek Campsite - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-09-2016   #21

summit, Colorado
Were you the group with two rafts with biminis and a bunch of kids trying to go from Catamount to Dotsero? We were wondering if you'd make it that whole distance - that wind was just hellacious Sunday and Monday!

basinrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016   #22

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Wind was rough

Yeah Basin,
That was probably us although we only had one kid per boat. Both of our wives look really young however. When the kids got on one boat the singing level was over the top so it may have sounded like half a dozen kids.

The biminis only stayed up for a bit prior to noon. We knew we might need the shuttle when putting in at Catamount but were ambitious. 30 river miles in three days seems totally doable for most floats but that wind was pushing us back upstream most of the afternoons on sunday and Monday.
hkbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016   #23

summit, Colorado
hkbeliever - Yep - normally 3 days to get from Catamount to Dotsero would be completely do-able if you're not slowing down to fish, but holy COW was that a lot of wind. If you're the group that pulled over and camped at the waterfall site Saturday night (we were stopped there for a snack/fishing break when you showed up), then apparently I'd had more beer than I'd thought - I really thought there were at least 2 kids per boat, plus wives and at least one dog.
Old 09-12-2016   #24

Basin,
Yeah that was us. You were the guide going to Henrys cabin then I guess. Thank you for the heads up. That campsite was perfect and the waterfall was a great tiny hike for the kids while we set up camp. We left some leftover firewood there and the next site for the next groups. Plenty of space for our three tents there. Thanks again!
Old 09-12-2016   #25

summit, Colorado
Technically my husband is the guide But yes, that was us heading for Spencer's Cabin. It was kinda nice to sleep thru that rainstorm Sunday morning under a roof and not have to pack up a wet tent (and a wet dog)!
Old 09-12-2016   #26

I was up early boiling water before the rain came in but it worked out great. Typical Colorado sun came out and dried off our stuff prior to departure. Liked the look of that awesome cabin however. I will look for the reservation list next trip. Thanks again for "suggesting" we camp there. Really primo site!!!
Old 09-25-2016   #27

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Fantastic campsite! Thanks ECOS!

Do y'all know anything about the history of the area? I wandered off into the brush and the place hasn't been touched by humans in a while. It appeared that only one group had camped there before us. Just a fresh 4 wheeler trail through thick brush, I assume that's what y'all used to set up the joint. I found a handful of old overgrown campsites and a 110 camera, but couldn't find a trail up into the Red Dirt Open Space. Are there side hikes here?

Thank you!

MaverickUSC is offline   Reply With Quote