Updated Deso beta . . . bugs and flow - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2017   #1

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Updated Deso beta . . . bugs and flow

With a launch date next week I was interested in any very recent information on conditions.

Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2017   #2

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
Be prepared for bugs and bears. We took out last week and it was an interesting trip. The Mosquitos got a few people really bad first the of couple days. Use bug spray with Deet, mine went fast when I had to share because the hippy stuff others brought didn't work at all. I faired pretty well with pants and a long sleeve shirt treated with permethrin but my legs got hammered in ten minutes before I put my pants on at the first camp. When the Mosquitos died down the biting flies came out. We had two bear sightings and a bat bite. It is berry season as we seen berries on the bushes and berry filled scat.

The river was at a great level, we did scout Joe Hutch Canyon but my line was pretty easy and dry. I took the right side of the tounge setting me up to split the two holes near top/middle of rapid and hit a big wave nicely before pulling to stay off the wall. Everything else was straight forward read and run. The best hits of the trip came at a hole center right just above the first bend, near the top of Coal Creek Rapid. That was our groups favorite rapid of the trip.

Have fun and keep a clean camp. Also check out the Alert - bears on desolation canyon thread.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017   #3

Just got off yesterday. I believe the flow dropped quite a bit. It was around 10,000 when we started our trip on the 8th and it looked like it was around 5000 when I looked this morning.

Bugs were bad at the put in as advertised but I wore a long sleeve shirt and spray on my legs and wasn't really bothered. I chose to rig about an hour after dark and that probably helped. We did over 20 miles the first day and after that the mosquitos were few and far between. The biting flies did come out but they weren't terrible, they would bite through a long sleeve shirt. Never tried and bug repellent but that might have done the trick too. I just would occassionally swat at them. I will say though I have a fairly high tolerance for bugs.

We got lucky with weather and had 4 of the 5 days of overcast skies with some rain sprinkles mixed in. We were prepared for blazing hot but it was an awesome trip.

Joe Hutch was very straight forward like the last poster said and I would also agree Coal Creek Rapid was our favorite.
Joe Hutch start river left center and move right although you can punch anything in there. The next big one wire fence was far left and then far right on three fords rapid which is right around the corner. We camped just above both these rapids on night 3 and scouted them but I wouldn't say it was necessary.
The last one Coal Creek was Right Center run.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2017   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
We launched on July 12 and were pleasantly surprised that there were almost no mosquitoes at Sand Wash. We were at the put-in from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM, so not peak time. But we didn't need our mosquito nets and most didn't even use Deet. We did have a few mosquitoes at our first camp (Lower Gold Hole), but not too bad.

The biggest bug problem was biting deer flies and black flies. We had deer fly every day. They seem to be attracted to either heat or sweat, because whoever was rowing seemed to get attacked far more than the passengers.
DeeGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote