Undercover Feds Middle Fork Salmon - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-25-2016   #61

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
They're out on the river looking for drug runners from Mexico. They've been rowing dope up the Colorado for the last year and portaging into other watersheds. Heard some cartel roughians got busted last week hauling a raft filled to the gunnels with dope over the continental divide, en route to the Arkansas. So don't take it personally!

fishingraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2016   #62

boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Well I guess it's all my fault. I sold that tan SOTAR to IDFG way back when, maybe mid 2000s, for the specific purpose of fish and game enforcement on the MF. They were replacing a worn out Avon. So they've been doing it for a long time. Got a frame and dry boxes from me too. I even met the CO at banner summit to help get it in time.

And IDFG officers go undercover all the time.

Traitor Ted
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #63
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by boicatr View Post
Well I guess it's all my fault. I sold that tan SOTAR to IDFG way back when, maybe mid 2000s, for the specific purpose of fish and game enforcement on the MF. They were replacing a worn out Avon. So they've been doing it for a long time. Got a frame and dry boxes from me too. I even met the CO at banner summit to help get it in time.

And IDFG officers go undercover all the time.

Traitor Ted
You sumbitch......
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #64
Old Guy in a PFD

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
It seems that most of the rants ......... pro and con .......... would be the same whether the confrontation took place on the river, or on a city street; if you think marijuana should be legal, your rant is against the invasive, greedy, corrupt cops, if you aren't for legalization, your rant is in support of the cops and against the dope smoking anarchist hippies.
So be it.

Schutzie recalls a legendary night on the North Platte at 6 mile. We had 3 groups in there, a total of about 120 people, there was another commercial group camped there with about 25, a church group (the term was used loosely) with about 15, and a family of about 6 that just ............. disappeared ............. about dark.
The rangers were understandably nervous, in particular when someone erected what briefly became known as the "North Platte Hilton", a monster tent rumored to have "Barnum and Bailey" in faded letters on the sides.
By 9PM it was being referred to as the "Whammy shack" and the smoke rolling out of every seam and opening smelled suspiciously like burning rope. A Roman orgy ............. minus the (public) orgy .............. had nothing on the bunch of heathens stumbling around in the dark that night. To say that the booze flowed freely is more than a mild understatement.

Anyway, with rangers lurking about the situation could have gone badly. However, some friendly persuasion (cops/rangers do NOT have a monopoly on persuasion techniques) and a bit of skulduggery on the part some participants, the rangers relaxed, then relaxed some more, inspected the tent again, relaxed some more, then passed out.

They were last seen the next morning wearing abandoned company life jackets (and little else but smiles), driving away in their government truck, staying on the trail only by allowing the wheels to wander about between the ditches.

The night was legendary not just because neither ranger could be found for a week (they eventually surfaced in a strip joint in Jackson Hole, having traded the life jackets in for pasties and thongs) but also because Schutzie first met his wife that trip. The thing that made it even more memorable was that neither of us realized we had met that night for two years.

Encouraged by this success, another group attempted a similar event at Sand Wash later that year, but the ranger on station there was a bit more anal, and it was only by good luck that he was encouraged to lock himself in his trailer for two days until the group abandoned the siege and headed down river.

Cops were waiting for the group at Green River 5 days later, search warrants clutched in sweaty hands and nervously fingering their weapons. Fortunately for the group, all the evidence had been lost in an imaginative affair at Rock Creek 2 days earlier when one of the participants started a "I can smoke this doobie in XX drags".

The ranger who had (been) locked (himself) in the trailer required several years of counseling at Federal expense, and was last believed to be selling Avon products in Hoonah, Alaska.

The moral of the story is ........................ Oh hell. There isn't a moral to the story, Schutzie just had some time to reminisce.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #65
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks Schutzie and Fishingraft, that's awesome!
Old 08-25-2016   #66

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this has already been brought up but sounds like a good excuse to run the river while on the job. Us vs them cloak and dagger bs. If I was in their shoes I would look for these opportunities myself but police things like environmental damage and people disrespecting others instead.

I've seen this a lot on the lower deschutes in Oregon. We were followed for two days on the river a few years back. They would pop up in the distance behind us and constantly had their binoculars on us. We were never stopped but not the kind of river experience I enjoy.

Another trip someone in our group smoked pot in a canyon not visible from the road, campsites or any other boaters and we were stopped at the next campsite about a mile downriver. The officer said he had seen our friend smoking from the canyon rim (at least a 1/4 mile from the road) with binoculars. Not a problem in OR now but it felt very invasive at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Gnome79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016   #67

Fruita, Colorado
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

It's in the Forth amendment to the Constitution,

HOWEVER,
Fish and Game officers and those officials that work in close cooperation with Fish and Game officials have extended search and siezure powers.

If you purchase a hunting or fishing license, or are hunting and fishing without one, you have waved many, if not all, of your rights with regard to search and siezure.

example of laws on the books;

"Commissioned wildlife agents are authorized to visit or inspect at frequent intervals without the need of search warrants, records, cold storage plants, bait stands, warehouses, public restaurants, public and private markets, stores, and places where wild birds, game quadrupeds, fish, or other aquatic life or any parts thereof may be kept and offered for sale, for the purpose of ascertaining whether any laws or regulations under the jurisdiction of the department have been violated…"

This is why if an officer asks you if you have been hunting or fishing you should always say "No" (don't lie").

Also you may have noticed if you travel internationally customs Will ask you if you have been hunting or fishing if you say yes (don't lie), they can and will search through your shit. Beware!
TupperwareBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016   #68
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperwareBill View Post

"Commissioned wildlife agents are authorized to visit or inspect at frequent intervals without the need of search warrants, records, cold storage plants, bait stands, warehouses, public restaurants, public and private markets, stores, and places where wild birds, game quadrupeds, fish, or other aquatic life or any parts thereof may be kept and offered for sale, for the purpose of ascertaining whether any laws or regulations under the jurisdiction of the department have been violated…"

This seems to apply only to those places involved in commercial activities of any kind involving wild game and fish....unless my read is borken.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016   #69

Fruita, Colorado
Carvedog, maybe that was a bad example here's another one
"…any commissioned wildlife agent may visit, inspect, and examine, with or without [a] search warrant, records, any cold storage plant, warehouse, boat, store, car, conveyance, automobile or other vehicle, airplane or other aircraft, basket or other receptacle, or any place of deposit for wild birds, wild quadrupeds, fish or other aquatic life or any parts thereof whenever there is probable cause to believe that a violation has occurred."

The point is that they can and will search your shit if you have a license or are observed hunting or fishing with or without a license, or if you say you have been doing so.
TupperwareBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016   #70

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
It seems that most of the rants ......... pro and con .......... would be the same whether the confrontation took place on the river, or on a city street; if you think marijuana should be legal, your rant is against the invasive, greedy, corrupt cops, if you aren't for legalization, your rant is in support of the cops and against the dope smoking anarchist hippies.
I think that this is a very broad oversimplification, and missing the larger and perhaps more nuanced points made previously regarding the right to search and how it applied in this particular situation.

There seems to be uniform outrage at the prospect of unlawful search and seizure, regardless of poster's stance on the legalization of marijuana. However, there appears to be a varied and potentially biased stance on whether someones rights were violated in this instance.

Ultimately unless we were given more detailed and preferably unbiased descriptions of the encounter, making a judgement as to the lawfulness of the encounter is speculative at best.

Personally, I find that you are broadly correct though. It is less common to find discussion (particularly on internet forums) in which bias is laid aside.... possibly because the rather dull outcome to those discussion is mostly 'we weren't there, and we need more information to make an educated judgement.'

So lacking information... we rant away! Woo-Hoo! Down with the corrupt Law Enforcement Personnel! Down with the pot-smoking anarchists! Down with all other groups not exactly like me!

Well, at least there would be less on the river, and more chance I win a permit.
UriahJones is offline   Reply With Quote