Undercover Feds Middle Fork Salmon - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-25-2016   #51

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Undercover Feds Middle Fork Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post
We probably need to legalize all drugs anyway. We keep doing the same thing for the last 60 years in the war on drugs and things just keep getting worse. If we want a different outcome, we need to try a new approach.

As far as the fishing license goes, throw the book at them.

Fishing license?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2016   #52

think I've had nightmares about that guy in the photo.

lotta talk here about the system and the culture. It's safe to assume that a backlash from this type of over-reach is already at play on a large scale. As for the gov. shitting where it eats, so to speak, this has lead to many near revolutions, populist revolts and the likes over the years in this country. looking at our politics these days, I'd say we're there again. At least we have the luxury of the internet to call out this B.S. and have influential discussions about it.

best defense against this type of thing, sadly, is being wealthy. LE agencies fear lawsuits, and you should very politely let anyone trying to trample your rights that you intend to sue them, whether you can afford to or not. if they continue to search, then stop talking immediately.
Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #53

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
MFS rule enforcement

If anyone knows the agency or name of the individual who decided that it would be a good idea to float the river in pursuit of rule violations, please make it public so I can voice my opinion about this decision/action. Thanks.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2016   #54

Donkey Town, Colorado
Just because there are some cops on the river doesn't mean you can't still be a pirate.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #55

cedar city, Utah
I would highly recommend against doxing an officer. That never seems to go well. It seems we should let the affected party file complaints before escalating this any further. As if now it's second hand information and appears to be of limited scope.

If/when first hand accounts (multiple) show a trend then interacting with the agency seems fair game.

Just a thought since things can get agitated real fast on these here intertwined webs.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #56
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I agree with Restrac that it would be good to have more information on this subject.

If it still sounds as messed up as the initial post made it sound to many of us, I believe we should we get on the case of the agency/ agency's involved, and voice our dissaproval. I believe that is central to the idea of self government. There are way more of us then there are of them, and eventually the will of the people wins out, once it is a big enough thorn in the side of an agency director, especially once it endangers the job of the elected official he reports to. Shit runs down hill.

More facts would be good though.
Old 08-25-2016   #57

Fraser, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartje View Post
think I've had nightmares about that guy in the photo.

Ya, that guy sketches me out, if I saw some one looking like that approaching me in the middle of nowhere, I would wonder if he was there to mug or murder me.
I don't pack a weapon, but if I did, I would be keeping it within arms reach.
Seems a hell of a lot safer and more professional to approach a person face to face, as apposed to sneaking up on them( kind of like why we try not to surprise a bear). I think if they would have pulled what they seem to have pulled, with the wrong person, they may have gotten shot.
Old 08-25-2016   #58

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I just got off the middle fork last week. The ranger at boundary warned us that there were unmarked Fish & Game officers handing out tickets. She further warned that they are writing tickets if your barb isn't bent down and they test that by putting it through their shirt. If it snags when they pull it out, TICKET. But this isn't anything new. I remember my dad got checked TWICE in an hour when fishing at Pistol Creek in 1993. The second boat of unmarked F&G officers seemed oblivious that there was another crew just ahead of them. I don't recall a lot of the details, it was over 20 years ago, but I imagine that if in their investigation of F&G violations they find someone in violation of another law, they will/should/can enforce it. My guess is that they've been doing this regularly for years, and they aren't there just to look for bowls around campfires, their main purpose is to enforce F&G regs.
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #59

Fraser, Colorado
Thank you for additional info jmcdannel.
Any one else up there get checked by Fish and Game Recently? Did they pull up to your camp site? Were they reasonable about it, or was it out of line?
Can anyone verify that they have been doing this for years? The Original post on the subject pisses me off, but trying to be fair.
Old 08-25-2016   #60

Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Thank you for additional info jmcdannel.
Any one else up there get checked by Fish and Game Recently? Did they pull up to your camp site? Were they reasonable about it, or was it out of line?
Can anyone verify that they have been doing this for years? The Original post on the subject pisses me off, but trying to be fair.
I have never been checked on the Middle Fork but have been check multiple times on the Grande Ronde. One in particular we were in camp cooking dinner when three officers come running up the bank. Was really startling but hey if you're going to shut down a meth house you don't call and let them know your coming.
I really don't have a problem with them not wearing a uniform. They should identify themselves once they have made contact with you. Searching without cause, no way should not happen. I have my doubts that these officers did not have cause.