Undercover Feds Middle Fork Salmon - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-24-2016   #21

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
And to the 'spirit of the law' comment I agree. There is a right and wrong way to go about enforcing the law. I would equally share in the outrage over my family being put at risk, and being subject to unlawful searches and seizures.

I think that the discussion has somewhat gone on tangent from the initial outrage over the 'unreasonableness' of being able to carry weed in Idaho.

I think that anyone who has been on the river knows that law enforcement is a necessary, and good thing. And we all appreciate professional and courteous law enforcement people!

UriahJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016   #22

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
I'm not blaming the officers whose job it is to enforce the laws, but I do blame their superiors who deem it a reasonable expenditure of resources to send agents into the wilderness to bust people for smoking a bowl. It's called prosecutorial discretion, and in the case of smoking a bowl around a campfire, which is a victimless crime, I find it to be a misuse of public resources.
Exactly!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #23

Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm pretty sure the police weren't there just for a drug bust. For pot smokers you guys are sure uptight. This thread is getting a little out of hand especially because this story is hear third hand. No one claims to have seen this police activity.
Old 08-24-2016   #24

Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand8272 View Post
I'm pretty sure the police weren't there just for a drug bust. For pot smokers you guys are sure uptight. This thread is getting a little out of hand especially because this story is hear third hand. No one claims to have seen this police activity.
Look at the Hells Canyon Fees thread. First hand accounts.
Why shouldn't we believe their story? It's not about being uptight, it's about abuse of power and our rights as American citizens. Frankly I think it's sad more people don't stand up for their rights in these situations. Most people don't even know they can refuse to do what the LEO says in certain situations. Intimidation by law enforement is strong. Unfortunatley not illegal. I'll get my panties in a wad over feds tromping on my rights everytime this subject comes up. Not about somebody killing people's buzz. Trashing the Bill of Rights is a slippery slope.
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #25
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tteton View Post
Look at the Hells Canyon Fees thread. First hand accounts.
Why shouldn't we believe their story? It's not about being uptight, it's about abuse of power and our rights as American citizens. Frankly I think it's sad more people don't stand up for their rights in these situations. Most people don't even know they can refuse to do what the LEO says in certain situations. Intimidation by law enforement is strong. Unfortunatley not illegal. I'll get my panties in a wad over feds tromping on my rights everytime this subject comes up. Not about somebody killing people's buzz. Trashing the Bill of Rights is a slippery slope.
I was about to respond to hand when I read your post, I believe it does a very good job of making the point that I am trying to make.

It is not about smoking some pot. People can call me whatever they want, but the things on the MFS I read about in the original post sound very much wrong to me. If no one ever gets irate about this sort of thing, then it will only continue and get worse. If no one ever disagrees with the folks that think this sort of behavior is fine, then that mind set perpetuates, and we end up with elected officials that put the crimp on personal freedom.

I don't really enjoy rants and arguments, but I do believe our bill of rights and personal freedoms are more important then another cooler thread.
Old 08-24-2016   #26

Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Not to be a jerk but the Hells thread doesn't have a first person experience. The guys said he missed it all because he was sleeping.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 08-24-2016   #27

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
The search was not illegal. They were checking fishing licenses, and the angler had his paraphernalia/substance in his tackle box with his license. Marijuana is illegal in many states, and states where it is legal, it's still an illegal substance on federal land. I hope this thread scares people away from running rivers in Idaho.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #28

Post Falls, Idaho
Well regardless you don't belong in Idaho if you can't talk shit about the Feds, it is our official past time. Even if you don't agree you are expected to chime in accordingly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #29

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Ah, and if those details are correct it does kind of put to bed the controversy here. At least to my thinking. One can question the use of resources of course, but honestly considering the commotion a couple tickets has caused here... I think that the resources expended will likely have their desired effect. To deter the illegal taking of fish and use of weed

Not to belabor the point, since true police overreach does occur, but more often I hear whining stories from people who were in the wrong and are just sad to face some consequences for their actions.

I don't suppose that will change the feelings of many, but my perception remains that unlawful search and seizure happens less than is lamented about.
UriahJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #30

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
IMO Law Enforcement should not have to hide from the citizens they have "sworn" to protect. If they are hiding like snakes in the grass wearing street clothes to try and bust citizens for minor offenses than that is overstepping the line. But alas, as long as people allow it to happen it will continue.

Fishing licenses are a no brainer, buy a friggin' license.

Pot is still illegal in Idaho even though their neighboring states (Oregon, Warshington, and Colorado) are more progressive. Hell, even Montana has medical. So if you want to run the gambit and bring Mary Jane with you, then expect the consequences. Another thing to do is research the laws using websites like NORML.ORG to see what the laws are and what you are getting into.

Once they remove it from a schedule 1 drug (seriously, Cocaine is a Schedule II drug, because that makes sense) you'll see State after State drop prohibition and it will be a thing of the past. Most likely as we near nationwide legalization certain states will press harder and harder to make income off archaic laws. It is the America we live in.
Tyrrache is offline   Reply With Quote