Undercover Feds Middle Fork Salmon - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-23-2016   #11

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Easy $ from pot tickets. The stuff smells and no dry bag or ammo can is going to cover up some of the potent stuff that is out there nowadays.

Although it is quite ridiculous - getting a ticket is always a possible outcome when engaging in "illegal activities". Especially in Mormon central

cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016   #12
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand8272 View Post
I don't understand how this is "shitty". Police officers have a duty to uphold the law and voluntarily get put in situation most people wouldn't dare. If you read the thread where this conversation started (Hells Canyon fee) people where mad about some guy getting busted for weed on the river. Well news flash stupid, weed is illegal in Idaho! I have no sympathy for you.
The one place you thought you could be left alone( okay maybe not you, but others) the police are there to make sure you are not breaking some law that one of our crooked politicians made. The same ones that do things like piss there pants on the floor of the senate, engage in countless scandals. But hey, it's a law, and the police are just doing the job they chose to sign up for, and you have no where to run, the system is there watching your every move, you don't get to be left alone for once. You have been followed by a million laws, rules and regulations, some of them probly conflict with each other.

Lest any one rip me a knew one claiming I don't realize laws are needed to have a society, I do understand this, I am glad we have some laws, I'm glad there is some regulation of fishing, so all the fish do not get wiped out, but doesn't anyone think maybe, just MAYBE, it all gets just a little excesive?!?!
Can't a man be left alone just a LITTLE bit? If he is not harming his fellow Man? Follow him into the wilderness because he might sit around and smoke some dope? For gods sake, get a life! What did he hurt?

If I sound pissed off it's because I am, I feel like to many people in our country just say, " oh well, It's a law, the cops are just doing there job", without ever wondering if it should be a law, if ours lives should be constantly scrutinized. I feel like it sometimes becomes a slap in the face of freedom and the human spirit.
Okay, start yellin at me for wanting a shred of freedom in a free country.
Old 08-23-2016   #13
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Just remember one thing.
They can't search your shit without probable cause. So when a cop asks to search your car, trailer, dry bags you can say no and then that have to get probable cause(i.e. Drug sniffing dog) to obtain a warrant to search your personal property
Run during that time to avoid any sort of capture

Call me something other than Dumas
Old 08-23-2016   #14

Post Falls, Idaho
Is it also true that you don't have to identify yourself and show identification if they don't have probable cause.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #15

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Unfortunately the officers can and do trigger there dogs. It's a farce. My youngest brother is serving a year in an idaho penitentiary for bringing 6 ounces of weed into idaho. Lol, that is insane.

3 squares, nice scenery in grangeville, playing domino's with the brothers, working out etc...damn if u need a vacation make sure to have 3 Oz or more of weed in idaho
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #16

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I understand the frustration expressed in this thread. But I can't help but think that it is very irrational. I understand you may not agree with the law, do you really believe that means that you should be exempt from the law you disagree with???

What about others who think a law you consider is important, are they exempt too? To believe that there should be some people exempt from the law, or some areas (MFS for instance) that are somehow magically not governed by the law of the state is irrational.

Whether the law is a good one or not is immaterial. If you strongly disagree with the law, become politically active and lobby for change. But agree or disagree if you choose to break the law understand that you may suffer the consequences. I refuse to acknowledge those who knowingly break laws as 'victims' of any sort. They knowingly made a choice and are simply upset that they had to suffer the consequences of their actions. (and please everyone knows about the marijuana laws, its only recently been legalized in a few states!)

Yes, the consequences may not be 'fair' or match the severity of the 'crime'... but know what they are so that you can make responsible choices. Then take responsibility for your choices!
UriahJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #17

Post Falls, Idaho
I think their is a spirit to the law for lack of a better term. Should a cop follow you for blocks? Should they sit outside your residence and watch? Should they sort through your shit anywhere else?

I'm very pro law enforcement and honestly have only good encounters. But I'd be really pissed if law enforcement was hiding and scoping me out on the river. I've dealt with criminals in the wilderness or rather in national forests close to civilization twice in my life. It's a very vulnerable feeling to have to make decisions based on your families safety and an unknown character. I'd really hope law enforcement is not acting in this way on our rivers.

We've all been safety checked on the water and I'm fine with that but sneaking around like we're criminals and they are on a stake out is not cool.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #18

Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by UriahJones View Post
I understand the frustration expressed in this thread. But I can't help but think that it is very irrational. I understand you may not agree with the law, do you really believe that means that you should be exempt from the law you disagree with???

What about others who think a law you consider is important, are they exempt too? To believe that there should be some people exempt from the law, or some areas (MFS for instance) that are somehow magically not governed by the law of the state is irrational.

Whether the law is a good one or not is immaterial. If you strongly disagree with the law, become politically active and lobby for change. But agree or disagree if you choose to break the law understand that you may suffer the consequences. I refuse to acknowledge those who knowingly break laws as 'victims' of any sort. They knowingly made a choice and are simply upset that they had to suffer the consequences of their actions. (and please everyone knows about the marijuana laws, its only recently been legalized in a few states!)

Yes, the consequences may not be 'fair' or match the severity of the 'crime'... but know what they are so that you can make responsible choices. Then take responsibility for your choices!
What about the laws these federal officers are breaking by illegally searching people on the river?? They need consent without probable cause. They need a suspsion of a crime to even demand you to identify yourself. They can't just pick up a closed container in your camp, open it and charge someone with possession. The law doesn't work that way. I agree that people who chose to smoke pot do so under the understanding that if caught they are going to be charged with breaking the law, but going to the river and rigging your boat are not crimes. A cop cannot just assume that someone might have weed in their bag because they are a rafter. Intimidation by police and federal agents is not illegal and not uncommon unfortunately. Where's the accountablity for these public servants to respect our rights as an American citizen?
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #19

Aurora, Colorado
I'm not blaming the officers whose job it is to enforce the laws, but I do blame their superiors who deem it a reasonable expenditure of resources to send agents into the wilderness to bust people for smoking a bowl. It's called prosecutorial discretion, and in the case of smoking a bowl around a campfire, which is a victimless crime, I find it to be a misuse of public resources.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #20

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Agree that the law enforcement people should be held to the highest standard. I also do not know the details surrounding the search. I think it unlikely that this was a random 'dump all dry bags' day at the river. Do you know more details? Care to share?

I do not presume to know the events that transpired, nor am I passing judgement on the correctness of the search. I was simply commenting in response to the laments of the 'unfairness' of not being 'left alone'. As if there was some good reason that a person should be exempt from the law.

However, I totally agree that unwarranted searches are a violation of freedom and should not be tolerated. But personal experience tells me that most of the crying stories I've heard about searches came from people who were just sorry that they were caught, and that there was indeed probably cause. Not saying this is that instance, just saying that is my experience...

Clearly there are many examples of unreasonable searches, as well as many law enforcement officers who believe that they are, in fact, above the law. In fact that seems to be a large corrupting problem with the system. Something about power corrupting comes to mind...
UriahJones is offline   Reply With Quote