Undercover Feds Middle Fork Salmon - Page 10 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-29-2016   #91
Was here

Southern, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
Mattman, you do know the "government" is made up of fine people just like you and I - not a secret group of hard nosed, special-op commandos? They are also upholding the very same laws that your neighbors and people who float the same rivers as you and I voted on. Laws just don't come out of thin air to piss off dirt bag, pot smoking rafters who also could work for the government too...

Just a thought, I could be wrong here though.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2016   #92

Twin Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I first caught wind of this topic on a friends facebook thread. He was asking outfitters and guides if they could substantiate stories of undercover Forest Service paling up to and then entrapping unsuspecting boaters. The person that posted in Hell's Canyon fee thread said "Undercover federal agent came into our camp on the middle fork this year. They parked upstream to not be scene, they checked fishing permits and issued a marijuana ticket to one of the guys in our group." I don't know if they are US Forest Service Federal Agents as the stories are second hand to me. Maybe if they put on a uniform we would know. An agent in a uniform could certainly pull right up to your camp and check licenses without the need to be sneaky about it. We could just call them Plain Clothed Agents of Uncertain Agency if you like. Or maybe just P.C.A.U.A.s for short.
yakenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #93
Old Guy in a PFD

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
This is a fun thread!
Schutzie can only add that if one elects to imbibe of an illegal substance, or a substance legal in some areas but not where one is imbibing, and one is confronted by Law Enforcement Officers, one should;
a) swallow the evidence and dummy up, refusing all searches and refusing to answer all questions posed by Law Enforcement.
b) Recognize that whether one agrees with it or not, imbibing of Marijuana on Federal Land is in fact illegal, and if one is busted, one must understand that one has brought the feces down upon themselves, and should not complain overly about the situation without acknowledging their part in the incident.
c) Whether for practical reasons or to be sneaky, Federal officials should probably at least wear their uniform shirts and not try to sneak into camp. Whether legal or illegal, it contributes to the feeling that officials are up to no good.

Now, one other quick story;
We did a new years trip on the Rio Grande down in Big Bend. For those geographically challenged, river right is Mexico, river left is Texas. Schutzie, as a former law enforcement officer, and knowing the other rats along on the trip, made himself unpopular at the very start of the trip by stating that a) Dope should be left in the cars since, you know, there was a good chance we would be in Mexico at some point. and b) that just to be safe, we should plan to camp only on river left, cause Mrs. Schutzies son did not want to spend any time in a Mexican prison because we got busted with dope.

Well, as usual. Schutzies advise was disparaged, ignored, and Schutzie was told to "Get in the damn boat".
Sure enough, we spent a couple days camping at a hot spring in Mexico, and the "Whammo cans" came out. As we were packing up a couple of Federales came over the hill on horseback (really, they were riding horses) and were shouting at us to ALTO!!
Instead we SCRAMMOED into the boats and down river, as if we could not hear their shouts or see them waving their guns as they raced down the hill to our rapidly abandoned camp.
Long story short; we managed to escape without being shot or "Altoed" but all the same, Schutzie spend the rest of the trip just daring anyone to even look at river right when camp was being discussed.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #94
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Killroy, I agree that there are many fine people that work in Government, I have had the pleasure to meet some of them. I also believe that just like the rest of society, there are people that are not good, and often abuse powers that are given to them,( like Hillary?) especially as power has a tendency to corrupt.
Being that we have a much better system of Government then most country's ( a Democracy, self Government by the people, if you will) I feel the people have a serious responsibility to do there best to see to it that IS a bunch of fine people in Government, and when it isn't, boot there but out.

Unfortunately, most laws are not voted on by you or I, they are voted on by law makers, who often seem to forget who elected them.
Whether I'm just a dirt bag or not, I am a citizen, I do vote, change laws when I get
a chance to vote on them, and have no intention of leaving. And dear god, I hate being fucked with for no good reason, as long as I am not bothering anyone else. Nothing makes me madder, just is a bad thing to do if a person wants to stick around.

Hope that makes sense to ya,
Peace.
Old 08-30-2016   #95
Was here

Southern, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
It does, and seems quite reasonable. That in mind I'm betting that you (and a few others on here, including me really) can't stand photo speeding and photo red light enforcement. I bet it makes the OP-yank mad as hell... I draw this conclusion from folks getting upset at "undercover feds".

Although I may not like it, its what we have, and it serves a purpose just like P.C.A.U.A.s

You'll be fine - if you're not bothering anybody you won't be effed with. Now If you're on public property breaking a law, I can't help you. Just hide your pot better and remember that the smoke travels a long way - sober people can smell long distances.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 08-30-2016   #96

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Lol white people. When your idea of injustice is a hundred dollar ticket for weed on a m.f.s trip and pushing a 5k inflatable you got it pretty good.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #97

Fraser, Colorado
Well, at least we're closer to seeing eye to eye then we were.
Don't mind getting pulled over for speeding, I really shouldn't be doing it, some times i even remember to slow down!

Still think a cop could just come up to ya in uniform, at least when your out fishing, and identify himself. I'd be more likely to think of him as a fine person just doing his job, and be more likely to give him the respect he deserves for doing a dangerous, unpopular job.
I remember this one police officer, one time, coming up and talking to me at work for a couple minutes, when he was out patrolling at the ski area, was friendly, treated me like just another member of the community. Man, I really respected that guy, made me not want to break the law. Think if we had more of that, we'd have have less crime, more respect for the law.
Old 08-31-2016   #98

Fraser, Colorado
Schutzie, I am having a tough time picturing you as Law enforcement!
What agency did you work for?
Old 08-31-2016   #99

boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
Lol white people. When your idea of injustice is a hundred dollar ticket for weed on a m.f.s trip and pushing a 5k inflatable you got it pretty good.
Hah! First world problems for sure!
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #100

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by boicatr View Post
Hah! First world problems for sure!
Idaho's a little tougher than that folks. Max penalty for anything under 3oz. is 1 year incarceration/$1000 fine. While the majority of that will get stripped away based upon the particulars of the case (first time vs. repeat offender, how much below 3oz. you possessed, if you were a dick to the officer, etc.), you will still certainly be charged more than just a $100 fine.

Stack that with your first appearance in court is typically 2-3 days after receiving the fine, and now you're not going on the river. So you're out permit money, food money, shuttle money, travel expenses, salary if you're not using PTO, and you're missing a week of relaxation and camaraderie on the river.

Essentially if you get fined at the put-in on a Friday, typically your first court date will be on Monday to set your sentencing date. This gets even more complicated if you're from out of state, or don't live in the county which the put-in resides (arguably, most don't).
DriftaBit is offline   Reply With Quote