Old 09-27-2014   #11
Groveland, California
Visit and

Neil and Lacey are dedicated to lightweight cat boating all over North, Central and South America. They offer lots of tips, cookbooks, co-op trips, training etc. and they are just great people!

Whitewater Machine Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014   #12
Louisville, Colorado
My hubby and I once did a six day trip in AK on an Aire Wildcat. We had a York dry box, one drybag, and a pin/repair kit. The fact that there were no regs on human waste really helped us pull that trip off on a small boat. We dug holes for solid waste. The weather was bad with wind, rain, and snow, and there really wasn't much in the way of wood, so we never started a fire but there were no regs on that either. At night We just ate a backpacker meal, split a snickers, nipped the whiskey, and retired to the tent. It was our honeymoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014   #13
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I once went so light I brought no chair. That sucked. When I got home I went and brought an aluminum camp chair. Ultrlightweight gets less and less appealing as I age. It is a fine balance between weight and comfort.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014   #14
Park City, Utah
As long as I can re flip my cat, I am light. Being light enough to re flip should make me light enough to make the move... I hope. I use this fire pan The fire pan only lasts a 3-4 seasons, but it is cheap so no big deal. Sometimes I don't know if I can re flip until I am on the water, so it is a constant quest. I use way bags and a bucket for a light pooper. Yeah, I poop in a bucket, we pee in the stream...catchy tune. Oh yeah, eat steak on a light weight trip, you won't be sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014   #15
Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1990
I like ultra-light for a couple of reasons. Lighter keeps the performance up epically on a cat. Les gear the lower profile your rig will have when you flip + you can keep your tunnel wide open Take out: My local river the Tuolumne has a bitch of a take out, after that carry you wish you would have learned how to roll a kayak. I am a reformed commercial guide so I was use to taking A LOT of gear. Less is better you won’t lose so much. Think like a backpacker: Tarp instead of tent, water filter and small bottles, whiskey instead of beer. We use wag bags for waste. Lots of places to reduce the load.
I wish I would have gotten single chamber tubes on my cat. Could have shaved allot of weight off with that.
Villainista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014   #16
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Talk with some ultralight backpackers and pick their brains about how they pack, what they bring, etc. It certainly can be done. Many of them don't use tents. They use hammocks & tarps for sleep. They carry small stoves and minimal cook kits. They make their own freeze dried food, and they minimize on weight and size of gear wherever they can.

However, there will always be things that boaters have to bring, that backpackers don't.....more repair & safety stuff, groover, fire pan, ash can, shovel, etc. I still have my 10 foot Outcast mini-cat, and I've started kayak touring, so I've been switching my mindset to UL alternatives.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
[QUOTE=upshitscreek;378169]Yeah, I've never found a direct link that carrying and dealing with more gear/crap equals a more enjoyable trip, as well.

bighorn, I think you get DQ'd for even having hand washing/ dish stations.

DQ me if you like, but clean hands for food handling, putting in contacts, clean and sanitized dishes all are easier to have for only an extra 5 #'s

My personal goal for a ultra light trip is to be self supporting (all required equipment) with 150 #'s of gear and food for a 5 day warm weather trip (boat and oars not included).

My 2010 GC trip I launched in my boat (no passengers) with 1600 pounds of group gear that no one else had room for So 150 pounds to me is ultra light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014   #18
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Consider too putting the weight where you have to. For remote class 4/5 water I always carry a well stocked wrap kit, first aid, maps of the area w/access points, emergency lightweight food...For groups of 4 or more I do like to bring my 2 burner partner stove w/break-apart hinges and a small, light propane tank.

Aside from that, use a jetboil, a mega-mid/ultralight shelter, dehydrated food and substitute your beer for good quality whiskey. A lightweight crazy creek chair, ultralight insulated air mattress. I have an Engle 30qt drybox/cooler combo box I occasionally bring for any perishables.

Just like a backpack, all the grams add up. Get the best quality gear you can rely on and shave weight where you can. I'd be leery of using single chamber cat tubes, but some consider the weight savings worth the potential risk.
dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014   #19
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Here's the chair I got for kayak touring. It's a Travelchair Joey. Similar to the Big Agnes Heliox, just a bit taller. Easy for me to get in & out of with a bum knee, comfy, and packs down super small.

+1 on the Partner two burner with take apart hinge. I love mine. Small, but you can separate the sides and still get a bigger pot on it.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014   #20
Ridgway, Colorado
If I decided to get all light and minimal the kayakers in my group would see the weakness and just start piling on the dry bags and cases of beer! I try to look as big as possible, like a puffer fish, self defense

rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote