Old 06-07-2014   #11
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Is there any concern about damaging your cooler with dry ice? I read a review somewhere for the Igloo Ultra Marine and one said they loved the cooler but it cracked after using dry ice. I have not heard anyone else say anything about this. I would like to try dry ice but don't want to damage my cooler. Any thoughts?

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #12
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Buildup co2 in your blood triggers your body to breathe. Air is only 16% oxygen and 78% nitrogen. I would think excess co2 would increase your breathing rate. At some point you would roll down the windows and the excess co2 would escape with the inrush of fresh air. CO (monoxide) however is a killer but its a product of incomplete combustion and not a product of the sublimation of dry ice.

Dry ice is helpful especially if you want to start the trip with a deeply frozen cooler. Adding fresh ice and rock salt I have been told is a way to deep freeze the remaining ice after the brine is added. The freezing point of the brine is lower so the remaining ice has to get colder for the energy to be conserved.
If you want to maximize your cooler ice retention do not open it often, do not drain it, and keep it out of the sun and covered at all times with a wet towel. This will chill the outside surface and reduce rate of heat transfer into the cooler.

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #13
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Evaporation requires 540 cal per gram of water. Ice melting only requires 80. Evaporation is free when you have water. When the ice melts you cant make more of it. So the evaporation effect is a free method of improving the life of your chilled food.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #14
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have used dry ice for years without any damage. However it does get really cold, much colder than regular ice.

(reg ice = 32 degree F vs. dry ice = -109.3 F)

So I could see how some types of plastic could become brittle in the extreme cold. My Coleman is the stainless steel variety, but I have used it in plastic coolers.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #15
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Plan on having gloves handy as it will 'burn' your skin on contact.

I have used several times when getting to the rio takes a couple of days. For normal trips it hasn't been necessary.

I have also used to extend my freezer space at home during pre-rig.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #16
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The cracked coolers may be from letting the dry ice freeze free water into a very expanded block in the bottom of cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #17
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Most molded plastic coolers have a radius edge and slightly sloping sides. This seems to be enough to make the expansion force the ice up rather than out. I would want to keep the block thinner than about 4". But your mileage may vary.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #18
Boston Mountains, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks, all. This is the kind of feedback that is helpful. Especially using dry ice to freeze water in the cooler.
PBR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #19
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Co2 will displace oxygen and you will get light headed in closed tifgt quarters. I have seen it happen in trandport so keep it outside. Freeze the shit ouy of an already frozen cooler for travel and it will take days for anything frozen in the ice to become accessible. I have filled the bottom of our cooler with blocks of ice then 2-3 inches of water and frozen it with dry ice. This could easily be done twice or 3x as long as you can keep the cooler out of the heat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #20
Cle Elum, Washington
Paddling Since: 1972
The cold will go right out of the bottom of the cooler and freeze what the cooler is sitting on. Don't leave it on something that can't take it overnight.

Fishnfowler is offline   Reply With Quote