Old 05-27-2016   #51
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Assuming you are strapping a raft with a frame to the trailer, I have no idea why you wouldn't attach straps to the frame and trailer. Multiple straps (I use 4) each work independently of one another so if one fails you don't loose more points of contact as you would with any system going over the boat.

I've never had any problems with wear on the boat. I have had several straps break of the years (probably from over tightening when the boat was low on air and cold). Years ago I used ratchet straps over the boat and one one trip had one break and the other get loose and fall off - the only thing holding the boat on was the winch strap. Since that time I strap 4 straps at the corners, under the frame over the oars and back to the trailer. Holds everything snugly in-place. The oars have their own pair holding them to the boat, but wrapping over them with the tie down straps help spread the load even more and it's another level of security for the oars.

Too me the 4 straps is the easiest, no going back and forth, throwing ropes or straps over, just a simple single strap attachment; takes maybe 30 seconds per strap and there is plenty of redundancy. other than a few friends that still use ratchet straps (whom I think are crazy anyways), I honestly figured everyone did it this way (again assuming you have a frame on the boat), I see no advantage to any other method outlined so far.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016   #52
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Originally Posted by SKeen View Post
Straps over the top sound better than the d-ring for sure. Has anyone had issues with the straps wearing the rubber on the raft? I get the issue with keeping the metal buckles off the rubber, but what about the webbing? I like the ease of using cam straps but it seems like rope may be less abrasive.
Catarafts are strapped together all the time and the only problem is if they are loose and that lets them saw on the fabric. Strap em or rope em tight. Loose straps or ropes hurt boats not tight ones. I also put one strap on each corner like Elkhaven said. And they are on the frame.

Loose straps let boat vibrate in the wind. Vibration equals abrasion.

I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016   #53
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I have always done exactly as Elkhaven describes above. and I've NEVER had a problem with it.
"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016   #54
Grand Junction, Colorado via Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
Originally Posted by Hold my Beer View Post
1) You will never need a spare tire until you leave home without one.
2) It's easy to get carried away with strapping down. One on the nose going forward and a good one aft over the top side-to-side is good 99% of the time.
3)ANYTHING touching aluminum (or other metal) will rub itself into a messy worn out crap fest. ie Don't let your oars ride on your frame or the road vibration will make you sad.
4)Unplug your lights before backing into the water.
5)If you're having problems with your trailer lights the problem is with your ground.
6)If your lights don't work see #5.
7)Having a spare tire isn't much good if you don't have the right lug wrench.
If it can blow out of your raft it will. (And you won't see it when it does)
9)The raft is a great carry all for equipment until you have to carry your now heavy monster down to the river. PPPPPPP
proper prior preparation prevents piss poor performance
10)99% of all blown out raft floors and other damage from over inflation come from a raft taken out of a cool river and put on a trailer (usually black) and left in the sun to double its psi while the owner is tooling down the road. If you don't clean and maintain your floor relief valve they probably aren't working.
11)Note #10 should be #1.

Sage advice....great reading!!! Thank you!!!!!
Grand Junction CO
Riverman4utoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016   #55
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
I have always done exactly as Elkhaven describes above. and I've NEVER had a problem with it.
Here too. Frame to frame only even with 2 rafts. we also cam strap the front of the rafts too.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016   #56
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
It's not the water that will fuck up the bearings, it's the sand and grit that gets in there. Use marine grease when repacking your bearings.
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #57
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
As usual, Schutzie is late to the party and all the good stuff has already been taken.
You have a repair kit for your boats, and a tool box for your cars; you need one for your trailer. From painful and expensive experience, a repair kit for your trailer is as important as beer. Include stuff like spare bulbs, electrical repair clips, duct tape (duh) bearing grease and spare bearings. The bulbs are especially important if you have Colorado tags and are traveling to Utah or Wyoming; a burned out $1 bulb should not be the basis for an expensive and time consuming search of your entire world. Spare lug nuts, whatever you can think of. An old no longer waterproof ammo can works nicely, can be welded to the trailer, and locked if you modify it slightly.
Second; bearing buddies.
Third, clean and repack bearings at least annually.
Fourth, check those lugs, the hitch and the connection regularly, like every time you stop for gas. Or when you cross the Colorado border.
Fifth, practice backing and parking the trailer before you head out. Better to embarrass yourself in the local school parking lot than at the ramp when you're trying to impress everyone with your equipment and skills.
Sixth, yes, disconnect your trailer lights before you back into the water. You won't electrocute yourself if you forget, but hot glass bulbs do not mix with cold river water well.
Seventh, do not overload your trailer.

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote