Old 12-24-2015   #1
las vegas, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2004
titanium frames??????

Hey buzzards, just curious about the possibilities.
I know it would be crazy expensive, but id like to know if there is anyone out there that has tried. And if there is... who made it???

deeptraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015   #2
Jackson, Wyoming
If we're talking about a bike frame, I get it. But I don't understand the potential benefit over aluminum for a raft frame. In a bike frame it's similar weight, but stronger and with better ride quality (assuming you like that ride). Does titanium hold a cooler better? Should the melt water be drained when the cooler is strapped to a titanium frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015   #3
C. Springs, Colorado
If you wear's the way to go....
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Titanium is heavier than aluminum. Titanium has better fatigue strength which is totally unnecessary for rafting applications. I have 100s of pounds of titanium in my garage that could be melted and used, I would give it to you for a frame but I don't want you to waste your time.

MatWeb - The Online Materials Information Resource
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015   #5
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I'm an amateur metallurgy and engineering hobbyist so eventually I will build a frame from Ti just because I think it would be fun. The fatigue strength is the major advantage of Ti, but I will admit that your statement that it is heavier surprised me. I guess it is because I'm an amateur that I thought it was lighter. Not by much but some. People should know also that Ti flexes a little more than aluminum. Aluminum is very stiff which makes it ideal for cat frames that need to be light but the difference would probably not be noticeable to even the very good boaters. Also there are various versions of Ti And Al. It can really get fun and complicated if that's-your-bag-Babbie. Like I said I will just do it someday because I wantta.

If this thread wasn't started by one of Orto aliases then I'm sure he will chime in soon and tell us the real truth while advertising his work. That I know of he is the only one that has built any Ti frames. Good luck.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015   #6
las vegas, Nevada
To be quite honest i thought it would quite lighter than aluminum and that is what i was shooting for. I'm buying a whole new setup this year and i want to build the best setup i could. I'm starting from scratch. i already purchased a new 16' xt pro hyside and the frame will be almost identical to the DRE 5 bay setup with a twist!! I'm going to use 2 sections of the frame (the double rail diamond plate areas) to store propane for a new propane motor i purchased (LEHR 5hp) i plan to just seal those sections of the frame off to hold the propane with a quick release adapter (like a air compressor fitting) that i can just run directly to the motor when in use, eliminating carrying a extra tank. I am just trying to build my dream rig and want to put the best of everything i can into it. my thought was that it would be much lighter and stronger going this route
Old 12-25-2015   #7
las vegas, Nevada
when I'm done... it will look very similar to the photo iv attached. except i will have another cooler in the space where this one has a drybox. I'm adding a smaller drybox behind the rear cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hyside 16 pro xt.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	10823  
Old 12-25-2015   #8
las vegas, Nevada
wanted to go with titanium for the added strength to hold the pressure of propane in it along with my thinking it would be lighter also.
Old 12-25-2015   #9
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I like the frame/tank idea. Back in my 4x4ing days, some guys had rollbars that doubled as compressed air tanks. I thought of that for propane but I only need propane for cooking so it wasn't practice. Make sure you let us know how it goes.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015   #10
billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
I bet the boys at ace hardware are going to raise an eyebrow when you ask them to fill that thing. Might be a little tricky fitting a OPD in the tubing too. Let alone finding someone to pressure test and stamp it legal for use. Not saying it can't be done, but there is a little more to pressurized storage of lpg than welding a bung on a sealed frame. Then again if you wrap your rig on something on the river, you could possibly blast the obstacle off the map!

mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote