Old 12-26-2015   #11
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sounds like a diy refill , probly won't get anyone to fill it for you. Might be safer to just bring the extra tank?
Let us know how you like the propane outboard! Have been wanting to get one for a while, seems like a much cleaner route for taking on the river. Been rigging my tank on my plywood floor as of late, seems preaty safe down there, guess it could freeze my feet if the valve ever busted though.
good luck on the new rig!

Think of me what you will, I got a little space to fill.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015   #12
Fraser, Colorado
Wonder what the river ranger would say?

Think of me what you will, I got a little space to fill.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015   #13
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
On top of this idea being dangerous, have you considered that propane is stored under pressure in a liquified state and the surface area of the tank is designed as a heat exchanger to help vaporize the propane to a gas before it is drawn out of the tank towards its intended use? (Eg burner, combustion etc). For example not all camp burners can work with a 1 pound bottle - it might not have the vaporization rate to satisfy the needs of a larger burner. As outdoor temps go down this becomes more of a factor as well.
SpeyCatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015   #14
Post Falls, Idaho
This theoretical could be possible but REALLY? As if a titanium frame is not crazy enough you want to put pressurized propane it?? I like the propane outboard to avoid gasoline but I'd think about using a conventional tank. Perhaps incorporate it in a cool way into the frame. Custom ti bike frame is multiple thousands couldn't imagine the cost of an expedition raft frame, wouldn't be crazy to think it would be north of 10k.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015   #15
Canon City, Colorado
A new option instead of Titanium: Magnesium-Silicon-Carbide
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015   #16
aurora, Colorado
Wait.... Just fill the raft with propane. Ya baby! My new Avon hindenberg! Hope you have your pressure vessel welding certs. Dot and crossing state lines and all. Let me watch you fill his sucker up. From down the block.
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #17
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981
One other consideration for pipe storage; the volume of 1.25" IPS is only about 0.064 gallons per foot. A couple side rails won't hold that much LPG, You would still likely want a good size tank. The heat exchange effect would be great, though, since the surface area to volume is much higher than most tanks.
geobucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015   #18
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1965
A couple of comments. It's true that Ti is denser than Al (4.5g/cm3 vs 2.7) but that doesn't translate to a Ti frame of the same strength as being heavier than an aluminum frame. Since Ti have a much higher bending strength the tubing can be a thinner wall. I'd have to do a structural design to come up with exact numbers but I'm willing to bet that a Ti frame of the same strength would be lighter than aluminum. The propane in a frame idea is a non-starter. Propane vapor pressure at 150 degrees ( think frame in the hot sun) is about 300 psi which turns your frame into a bomb. When I was working in the Philippines I converted numerous 2 stroke and four stroke outboards to run on LPG (butane). It's not that difficult and there are kits you can buy.
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015   #19
billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Hindenburg heh heh
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015   #20
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
You are going to find out that you will be needing much more propane than a raft frame could hold. A twenty pound bottle holds about 3.5gallons. I suggest you do some trial runs with your new engine. I work in the oil and gas fields. We use natural gas to run some engines. I know propane contains more energy. But you will find you will need close to as many gallons of propane as you do gasoline.

I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote