Tips for how to get back onto my raft!?!? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 08-04-2009   #1

Los angeles, California
Paddling Since: 2008
Tips for how to get back onto my raft!?!?

Hey guys, this is my first post. I just turned 18 and i have only been rafting once before in the lower kern river. The thing i stuggled with the most was how to get back into the raft after i fell off!!! I just coudnt pull all my weight up to get back on. Can u gys give me some tips to help me out when i go rafting this month. Also, im trieng to decide if i shood go on the south fork of the american river in california, the midddle fork of the american, or the tuollemne!! Im leaning toward the middle fork because the tuollemne seems kinda hard but the south fork seems kinda mellow!! what do u all think!? Thanks!!

Cityguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I think you should man up work out a little bit and just plain and simple man up. obviously you aren't a mountian folk like the rest of us. but seriously, you are asking how to pull your self back into a raft. pull
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
A little more instruction is I would say to really focus on bobbing a couple times to get some momentum going upwards so that you are using the buoyancy of your PFD to your advantage...in the upwards direction. Hopefully the boat has a chicken line/perimeter line to hold on to. When you are going up try really hard to lock your elbow out when your body is as high up as you could get it and keep it like that so you can swing a leg over and joule you are in the boat... Of course if there are other people in the boat I would imagine they will help pull you in by the shoulder straps of your PFD and not by your arms. But yeah I would also suggest doing 100 push ups per day and as many pull ups as possible...makes you feel good and the chicks dig it.
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009   #4

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Nah, there's no need to do push ups and pull ups. All you need is $130,000. With this cool tool, you can be a complete couch tater and still pop right back into the boat. And the chicks will be really impressed.

Old 08-04-2009   #5

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
One piece of advice for a beginner is to learn to fall into the boat instead of out of the boat. If you are falling out, you are leaning the wrong way. Always put your weight up onto the high side and teach your passengers to do the same. Another piece of advice is to watch that downstream oar and not let it re-arrange all your dental work when it slams into a rock. Safety gear goes without explanation. Quality PFDs for ALL passengers and a stowed rescue line or two are mandatory. The idea is to have fun while minimizing your exposure to injury.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #6

Mt Hood, Oregon
Nettie's Bag Ladders

"Nettie's ladder" work well, nice woman who makes them, lots of other extra gear also.

Still requires upper body strength and legs with some sense of muscle. Straps onto frame in case you are wondering.
eastcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #7

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Grab a handle on the side, Kick/Pull/Lunge up, reach for top of tube. If you can get your elbow locked (the one holding the handle) then you are there. just kick a leg over at that point.

This is your key, locking that elbow.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Mike,
You're compassion is unparalleled!
Hey Cityguy, You'll get it...KICK and try getting in from the upstream side of the raft that way you have the current to assist you a little.
Also, practice having someone in the boating assisting in getting you back in. Generally, if you have someone grab your life jacket and dunk you then the momentum helps bob you back up and in...you'll both fall INTO the boat.
Good Luck!!!!
Old 08-04-2009   #9

Los angeles, California
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednaout View Post
Mike,
You're compassion is unparalleled!
Hey Cityguy, You'll get it...KICK and try getting in from the upstream side of the raft that way you have the current to assist you a little.
Also, practice having someone in the boating assisting in getting you back in. Generally, if you have someone grab your life jacket and dunk you then the momentum helps bob you back up and in...you'll both fall INTO the boat.
Good Luck!!!!
What do u mean by kick? u mean kick like as swimming as u pull? how does that help?
Cityguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #10

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Like a dolphin kick...
jacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting