Old 02-24-2014   #11
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by jpbay View Post
times 2

Make it 3! I just picked one up this last fall and am dying to get it on the river.

Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #12
Whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues

Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
If you're going to go for something easily rolled, the Aire isn't gonna match the NRS- otherwise it will blow it away IMHO. If you ARE going to to go Aire, why not add Maravia to the mix? I bought a Zephyr- and it rolls better than folks around here would lead you to believe. Not well- but not unacceptable. I fit it back in the original box without any problems- Be aware, the 156R and 156D are VERY different from one another- it's not just a question of diminishing tubes on the D- it has a much sportier design. The R is a gear hauler with a longer waterline.

Based on your description, my short list would be Maravia Zephyr or Cyclone, or the 156D. I'm not a hypalon guy at all- don't like the way they handle compared to the stiffer boats I'm used to- but to each his own.
+1 for the Zephyr...If you're considering the 156D, you should definitely compare. Don't roll it too much though. Stiff boat, loads of room, capable of big loads - family of 5 plus a dog, no issues.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #13
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
(AIRE owner)

If you are the type of person that cleans your boat, when you come back from a dirty trip, just open up the zippers when you do it. Spray them with 303 and close them up. Simple maintenance goes a LONG way, with all gear.

We pay a lot of money for this stuff. Show a little pride in your rig.

AND....get the 156 or the 160DD (either one...get the sealed floor pocket). You'll never look back, I swear.
Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #14
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by OregonRafter View Post
If you're planning on storing your new raft rolled I would avoid Maravia, Aire, or any PVC raft. It will be fine for a while but over time long term rolled storage of those plastic boats will lead to damage with creases and pinhole leaks.
Sure it's better to leave them lightly inflated but I have been rolling my Maravia since I bought it used in '98 and there are no permanent creases or pinholes caused by this. Every hole in my raft was earned by cheese gratering it off the rocks on many, many September Middle Fork miles. I did have to replace the floor a couple of years ago but that was partly because I loaned it to someone who blew it up tight on the ramp and left it sitting in the sun. The drop stitch separated on a 20 year old floor.

There was a bad batch of material in the early 90s that was prone to pinholes but that was a manufacturing issue.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #15
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
My buddy loves his Maravia Williwaw 2. He took it down the Grand last summer. It's a good choice, as well as the Zephyr.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote