Old 03-29-2011   #1
nicasio, California
Paddling Since: 1994
Thoughts on strapping a playboat to a raft

I am a kayaker at heart, but have taken up rafting so we can do family trips. Considering strapping my playboat to the back of our 16' raft for occasional play ops. We are either doing a 7 day San Juan or Desolation trip this spring. Any advice would be great.

sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #2
Keep it right side up
Mc Coy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have never done a really long trip with my kayak strapped to my 16' raft but normally my and my girl just put them bow down in the rear of the raft

swedgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #3
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to CFlem18
I did the first few days of flatwater on cataract with my playboat tied to a raft. Worked well for trash and groover seat storage as well (these were my bargaining terms for getting on the raft). I got in my boat for the rapids, but I think it could work if you wanted to keep one strapped for up to class IV. Would definitely suck if the raft flipped though, I would imagine you would want to keep it easily removable underwater from a flipped raft.
CFlem18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #4
Jenks, Oklahoma
sunshine, might be some play for your kayak on Deso Gray, gonna be pretty much zero on San Juan. There is a short section of baby rapid just past the Mex Hat access and there is a 50 yard one rock to miss at government rapid, other than that San Juan is pretty much flat but moving water.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #5
x, x
Paddling Since: x
my wife and i raft with my playboat strapped upside down accross the thwarts from grab loop to d ring with some 4'ers it hold stuff underneath down that is tied in but flops around otherwise. we went down the pumphouse to rancho at about 5k with no problems other than i missed my eddy with the raft a few times. we put it up side down so the cockpit would not collect water. i filled up the float bags and stuffed the front with my overthruster worked great the few times we did it.

i would not drag it behind unless it is flat water, on westwater we had 1 in tow before last chance and when it went through the wave train the forces of the water were acting like a dog on a leash jerking us around for a second. it did not fill up with water it just did what it wanted to do.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote