Old 05-20-2016   #21
frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
What is the life expectancy on these old rafts? Are there any rafts being built today that will last as long as old Avons or Rikens, etc? These are fun questions because the NRS for sale probably cost about $3000.00 when it was new and is now close to the same price. So if there is a new boat on the market now, that one could buy and use for 15 years, then sell for the same price I would like to know. All things equal I think we all would rather drive the first half than the last half. In 2001 I bought a 1998 Avon adventurer for $1600.00 It still gets used and is in great shape but I think of getting something new sometimes. This puts me at about $100.00 per year to own this boat. Its hard to imagine getting any better. Maybe we should start asking the question "how much is this toy per year?" I also have an 18' 1984 Riken and a 2014 Hyside paddle cat and my hunch is they will all go at the same time.

full yellow life jacket
bob larrabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016   #22
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Great question as to the depreciation. My first raft was an 8 year old Down River fully outfitted for $4400. I put about $600 into it and after 6 years and 150 days use I sold it for $3500 in about a day. I think I could have gotten closer to $4k. The rubber is about half the cost, but most of the depreciation from a utility sense. The metal doesn't really degrade. I think buying a relatively new/slightly used raft is the best balance. Some depreciation has already taken place, including not paying tax, and a very long life and good resale. Unfortunately, these are hard to come by. You will never have a boat that is as cheap to own as an old used one, but they surely aren't pretty, but do the same thing with a top off each morning. If you have too much money you will likely buy the newer one.

May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #23
Twin Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I've got a bucket boat built by NRS from like the 80s. It's been well cared for and is still in great shape. Look for micro pitting in the material where he frame sits. I'm starting to see it in mine. But it's been a great raft.
Also have an AIRE from 2000. And it's in great shape. They last a long time if cared for. I recommend using 303 UV protectant once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

All4ward is offline   Reply With Quote