Old 05-06-2016   #11
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I purchased a NRS e145 6 years ago from a guy on Craigslist in GWS. $4k included all rigging, and a triton trailer. It's over 20 years old now and holds air like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Vailboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016   #12
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I agree with others on here. Hypalon lasts forever. We have a 35+ year boat that requires a few pumps every morning but wouldn't think twice about taking it on a 6 days trip.

Take a good look at it and if all looks ok, get it.

CaptBiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016   #13
Vanderwagen, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 12
If you're looking to get on the water May 27th, I would recommend going with the NRS raft with the Down River frame. Both are high quality and paired up to each other. The extra D rings and handles are bonus. If you continue to clean and store properly, the raft has at least another 20 years. Have fun whatever you do! "I like hypalon rubber..."
Mtnbuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016   #14
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
No doubt roundboats are more versatile....cats are fun, but a 14' cat IMO is pretty small, straddling the fence between playboat and ultralight multiday rig. (I would love to have a 14' sotar cat)

It is nice that the NRS comes with a bunch of necessary gear...but I personally would have a hard time paying $3000 for a 15 year old boat. Yeah there should be lots use left in it as I do have a 35 year old hypalon Hyside in my quiver.

$2500 is fair...I'd personally consider $2000 if it was close (I have 6 rafts). But if you need all that stuff by May 27th, you might just have to go with it and I doubt you'd regret it.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016   #15
Searching for water....., Nevada
15 year old NRS wouldn't bother me a bit. The versatility of the raft is much greater than the cat. Pick it up and you can probably sell it for the same later if you want a bigger raft or a cat.

I am a die hard catboater but prefer a raft for trips. They are much more comfortable, easier to pack and load, and carry much more gear and people for equivalent size.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016   #16
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Looks like a pretty decent deal. Too bad a trailer doesn't come with it. Ya gotta wonder if the guy has a dry box he might throw in to sweeten the deal.

Or just make a lower offer.

I bought a really old Sotar 14.5' with everything and a trailer. Within a couple of years a couple of seams blew and it became patching material (the floor had been replaced so I have that and may have a new raft built around the floor to save money). When that happened my brother loaned me his 13.5 ft Sotar.

It is a bit small for multiday trips but it is gives you great action and is super nimble. Last summer I took my two oldest sons (both big 16 year olds) on a four day trip and it was fine. I would say that 3 people is probably max for a boat that size for a multiday trip.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016   #17
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
. . . and if you get it, don't look back. There is absolutely no reason to regret that deal.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016   #18
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by mackay View Post
I dont pack allot of gear as I come from a backpacking background. Basically just your essentials and I can never see myself bringing a firepan.
Maybe you should stick with backpacking...
Known Cairn Hater

`...><((((>`...><((((>`...><(( ((>
Flohotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016   #19
salt lake city, Utah
Thanks for all the input I am going to check out this outfit on monday!

Originally Posted by Flohotter View Post
Maybe you should stick with backpacking...
I still backpack however my Dad and Uncle can no longer walk in the woods; cant wait to take them on a float! Although all the ganja burning on the river might make them wonder what exactly it is they are doing.
mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016   #20
San Diego, California
Paddling Since: 2008
I've got a NRS 14' SB-Expedition. Rigged out by Forest Safety Products in Bayfield Co. It's a tough boat and taken care of should last a lifetime. Just because a boat has been inflated doesn't mean it's a good boat. Has it been "Loved", or just ridden hard and put away dirty. I always clean my boat after a trip and wipe it down with 303 Protecterant. It's "Amour All" for you stuff. UV, heat & cold can lessen the life of any boat. Just like buying a used car, know what you buying.

iPad in Jaccuzi

Watusi_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote