Old 03-31-2014   #1
Thanks to Hoss on Westwater 3/30

Not sure if he reads Mountainbuzz, but a big thanks to Hoss and his crew for letting our group of rafts and kayaks join the barge of rafts that he was pushing to Cisco Sunday. He and his big ole Cat likely saved us at least 5 hours of rowing and possibly lots more if we were still on water when the front hit. I'm still amazed at how well he maneuvered the flotilla with such ease.

All in our group appreciated it as well as the socialization that went on in the trip out. So if you see a motorized cat with big brown tubes, wave and say hi.

And Hoss, hope this is a start of a great season for ya!

"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing." -- Werner von Braun
jtnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Yes indeed, what an experience!

jmcgreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #3
DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
Sounds like you were real lucky. A group of my friends launched Sunday for a day run that has turned into an overnighter. The kayaks were able to get out and inform the families that the rafters just couldn't beat the wind. Haven't heard from them yet, hopefully it wasn't too cold up there last night. Gotta love that spring wind.
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #4
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
there were 3 foot upstream swells. we waited it out on a small beach for about 3 hours then had a small window to row out around 6pm before another front hit.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #5
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

Yeah having a motor really helps with the Westwater push. The link below will take you to a clip. At the end we have massive headwind. A 5 HP pushed about 7 boats out nicely. Hoss was on this trip with us. Been boating with Hoss for over 10 years now. He is just HOSSOME!.

beanack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #6
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ya big thanks Big Hoss!! I 100% believe we would have had to spend another night in the canyon if it wasn't for your mighty rig! I only had to row the last 100yds to the takeout but that almost didnt even happen! After that experience I dont think I'll ever go into that canyon in the spring without a motor again!
P the K
Paul the Kayaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #7
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I guess we got lucky we party barged and floated from the rapids all the way to Cisco on Saturday with out a gust. The three days on Horsetheif and ruby were brutal.
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #8
Denver,, exhaustion
Hoss and your crew,
Another thanks here the ride out and the hospitality were both great.
Have a great rest of the season!
"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #9
Montrose, Colorado
Was wondering how bad it was going to get. We left as soon as the Ranger arrived at put-in in hopes of beating the wind. Am guessing based on motorized cat description that "Hoss" was camped at Hades bar when we went past.
Rowed my butt off for the last half a mile when the front came in. Would not have wanted to be any later as it just kept getting worse. Hope all are safe.
QuietHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #10
NoCo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I agree. Hoss you are the man!! Not only did you save us from what could have been a long night it was an excellent time. Thanks.

radman152 is offline   Reply With Quote