Mountain Buzz banner

SW Montana Get Together

11K views 60 replies 21 participants last post by  jefflind 
#1 ·
I'd like to propose a Montana "Buzz" get together. I've been chatting with a bunch of folks over the last few months and have been thinking that a day on the river for all of us inclined and able would be a great thing.

I'm proposing that those of us interested get together for a float, somewhere inbetweenst our masses. Spend a day on the water and an evening at camp. Sometime in the next month, before the shit hits the fan. I'm thinking camp needs to be road accessible, to fit varrying schedules and travel times.

Any intereseted takers?

I think it would be best to discuss legistics once we've gotten an idea of interest. But roughly i'm thinking something between the upper Big Hole and the Yellowstone above Big Timber....ish.

I'm not intending this to be MT inclusive, anyone nearby please join in. I'd just like to get nearby folks together for a day of introductions, floating and food.

#3 ·
Well he'll yeah. No need to be a montanan. Just thinking locality. Any one is invited. Even coloradans.

Sent from my XT1585 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#11 ·
How about April 9 and 10?

We're in. A long winter of sitting in gyms watching 8th graders play basketball ends first weekend of April. How about the Big Hole. I've been wanting to get down there. Been thinking about the Deerborn too.
Camp at Melrose, float divided to Melrose on the 9th and/or Melrose to Browns or Glenn on the 10th depending on time. This could open it up to folks that couldn't get there early on saturday, to put in at Maiden Rock later and meet up as well as have a longer/shorter option on sunday.

If The Big Hole doesn't work for most my other idea was the Yellowstone from Mayors to Sheep Mountain. Camp at Sheep, could float on to Springdale on Sunday. This option also has a similar half day put in option at 89 Bridge on Saturday for those with time constraints.

Brian

#9 ·
We're in. A long winter of sitting in gyms watching 8th graders play basketball ends first weekend of April. How about the Big Hole. I've been wanting to get down there. Been thinking about the Deerborn too.

#12 ·
I don't know where I fit into the equation (though I know exactly where I belong). I was born in Colorado, raised in Oregon and have now spent the second half of my life here in Montana. I guess I'm a Coloregantanan!

#17 ·
Might just be the three of us this go round..... Hopefully some others will buck up between now and then. P

Sent from my XT1585 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#18 ·
I might be up for this one, too. Currently in northeast Wyoming a long way from floatable moving water. Need more details. Are you guys camping at the Salmonfly river access site? Are you camping Friday night or meeting there Saturday morning?

I haven't been on the Bighole, but it has been on my list for awhile. I'm thinking of bringing my Hyside Mini-me and rowing it solo.

#19 ·
Northeast Wyoming - Where?

I too am stuck in Northeast Wyoming! Pine Haven/Moorcroft to be exact.

The plan would be to camp at Salmon fly, not particularly to boat camp, just car camp - for me anyways. I'll have my two boys but not the wife, she has to work. I'm not sure when I'd show up, morning of, or night before, that would probably have a lot to do with weather. I will be back in Belgrade by then so it's just less than two hours to divide for me (easy morning drive). I may tandem my camper and raft but I need to add the hitch to the camper and wire it first, which I may not have time for.

I'm totally flexible on this get together, location/floats whatever. I just thought that this was the simplest option to organize, so if it ends up just being 3 or 4 of us we can fine tune the plan if we want.

Let me know.

edit - your boat would do just fine.

I might be up for this one, too. Currently in northeast Wyoming a long way from floatable moving water. Need more details. Are you guys camping at the Salmonfly river access site? Are you camping Friday night or meeting there Saturday morning?

I haven't been on the Bighole, but it has been on my list for awhile. I'm thinking of bringing my Hyside Mini-me and rowing it solo.

#25 ·
Great idea ElkHaven! I'd be all over it but due to rotator cuff surgery in January I'm out till June, if I'm lucky. But if any future trips come up keep us posted.

I wish you folks a great time on your April put in!
-
You only need one shoulder to do 12 oz curls! I'm sure we can find you a ride down the river if you want to come anyways. There is little likelihood of a swim on this stretch.

So Yellowstone???
What you want to drive farther? I don't care where we go, but LSB got the ball rolling and it's fine with me. It's my favorite river and just over the hill for you.

It's over 500 miles one way for me to get to Melrose, Montana. So I am really going to be watching the weather, too. May not be worth it if there's another spring blizzard going on.
I'll PM you about venison ally, AKA NE WY. Just so you know, this isn't a white water float, can be great fishing and is great scenery. The only slightly technical question is just up river from our proposed put in, but it's way too low to float now. Need to hit it with closer to a 1000 cfs., maybe more. I don't want you to drive 500 miles and not get your drysuit wet!

#26 ·
Just got back from Spokane weekend. Is this trip a go. Everybody seems to be waffling a little. Weather might suck. I need to check one more commitment this afternoon to see if I'm really clear for the 9th. Otherwise a week or so later could work better. Would also just be me and 2 boys. Probably roll in Saturday morning.

#27 ·
I'm not waffling. Just stating that I'm flexible on location if need be. I'll be there the 9th and 10th for sure, if all goes well I may get down there the evening of the 8th. I'll be leaving by 4 or 5 on sunday at the latest.

#28 ·
I'm interested. Lived in MT since '94, Bozeman since '16... Been hoping to cross paths with Mr. Elkhaven.

Our family bought our first raft last year to accomodate two little kids. Prior to that, the wife and I did a number of trips in our Mad River canoe.

Me (no family this time) and my boat look to be available that weekend, so please keep me posted.

Thanks,
Doug Burleson

#30 ·
I look forward to meeting you, but I don't think I'm a Mr. maybe a "mister, what are your doing here".... but not a Mr.

Your avatar looks like a Smith pic... no?

I'll keep you posted. Have a great evening!

Brian

#34 ·
For those not familiar with the location, Salmon Fly Fishing access is a small campground just barely outside of Melrose. We typically walk to the bar when camped there.... Any ways it's right on the river and near town, not that Melrose has anything but bars and flyshops... there's probably a post office but who needs that?

There is room for fairly large RV's but no hookups. While it's small, there is plenty of room for a group of roughians, especially this time of year. I've personally woken up there many May mornings on the Salmon Fly trail. It's a great place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.