Old 05-13-2013   #1
steamboat, Colorado
Steamboat is in!

Town run is perfect for beginners, Charlie's and D holes are big (2000cfs tonight), Fish should go tonight, Cross is rocking, Willow is in, Upper Elk is in. Good early season boating abounds.

latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #2
dropzone, Colorado
Yep, things are looking good up that way! Too bad I missed you guys this weekend, just had a different schedule.

We ran Willow yesterday afternoon. It was a really nice flow. Definitely felt like more than the 270cfs reading from the Steamboat Lake outflow gauge. It was brown as well. I'd say the low elevation melt is taking it over 300 something.

A couple more-or-less riverwide trees below the first steep section were underwater, and posed no issue. We portaged the right-turn woody rapid/woopie ridge as the move to a right-hand channel looked thin/dubious, and the main flow is into a bad strainer. Two portages below in relatively flat sections for riverwide trees, which are fairly obvious. And the death-trap shipping crate fence at the bridge/confluence with the Elk is obscene. That needs to be clipped or potentially handled diplomatically if possible. Portaging over barbed wire is not the awesome.

Gate was closed for upper elk as of yesterday.

Looking forward to getting back up there soon!

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #3
steamboat, Colorado
Yeah, too bad we missed you. Thanks for the beta on Willow. What a shame that a frontranger beat the locals into that one. Actually, I wish it didn't exist. More mis-adventures in there than anywhere else. lol.
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

It's Lenny from Fort Collins, we camped a year or so ago at Cross. I'm friends with Brian G.

What's the Lower Elk like right now?

Thanks, Lenny.
GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #5
Lower Elk

When we did Willow, we continued from the confluence with the Elk River to the bridge. On the Lower Elk there is one tree 3/4 across the river, roughly 1 mile up from the takeout bridge near Glen Eden (assuming that's a takeout). It was easily noticeable and passable in a kayak, and would probably be fine in a small raft.

Can any of the locals fill me in on the past diplomatic dealings with that Willow Creek man-made deathtrap? Why hasn't someone cut that thing out yet? Anyone have contact info for the landowner (to PM me, not publicly post)?
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote