Old 12-07-2011   #1
Toronto, Canada
Spring time white water rafting

I've been white water rafting a few times (Ottawa River, Rouge River Quebec & Dead River Maine). I love the thrills, the possibility of flipping and well actually flipping. I am planning on going with a couple friends again in April. I have been looking at places under a 10 hour drive time from (Detroit) that would be able to provide me with even more excitement. One page I visited had a thirll seekers section. Can you rank which ones will put you in the water more often then not in the months of April - May
Moose, Hudson, Nolichucky, Cheat Canyon? (I'm sure there are others and please feel free to add any to the list) & if you like put them in order of most likely to swim & often to least likely & maybe once the entire trip.

Polska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #2
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
One upside of rafting in Northern NY (Moose,Hudson,Black) is that kayakers are also the guides.

Drop Pool, Big Volume, and flipping are on the menu generally. Hell, on those rivers the guides may "unintentionally" drop into a huge hole sideways and let you cowboy up.

If you don't know what I'm talking about just check out some Ed Huber carnage specials on youtube.

Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #3
Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
too bad all those rafters are wearing clothes
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #4
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I really wish the water was warmer in the Pacific Northwest when the flows are up. I would be more willing to dump my crew on a regular basis.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #5
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Why don't you just stay in the boat? None of those rivers are good to be swimming in, especially in April/May.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #6
Bryson City, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1972
March/April bring heavy rains in the Southeast, meaning water... and rafting thrills... are up! It's a great time of year to be on the Nolichucky.

If you're feeling brave, I also suggest checking out the Cheoah River close to our Outfitter in NC. It's a ton of fun. However, those rapids are very dangerous (lots of strainers and rocks) so we don't want any swimmers.
Nantahala Outdoor Center
Serving the whitewater community since 1972!
Nantahala Outdoor Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
If you're thinking the Cheat Canyon and want crazy flips, just go to the Upper Yough, 30 min farther away at the tip of Maryland. The Cheat can be gigantic high water that time of year but the Upper Yough always seems way more intense for rafting for me. Its way more technical and way more continuous. The Cheat is fun (something like 40 Class 3 or greater rapids) but there is a fair bit of flatwater even on highwater days (which are no guarantee).

Or heck the Upper Gauley is closer than the Nolichucky or the Moose and that runs big and scary in the spring. That would probably be my choice if you wanted a world class rafting experience.
Whitewater Map American Whitewater river info you can use.
pilom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #8
Goshen, New York
The New River is the classic East Coast springtime big water run. Upper G is obviously bigger and badder but is very hit or miss in the spring.
rebel1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #9
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I would recommend hitting the New or the Gauley with West Virginia Adventures. Whitewater Rafting in West Virginia | West Virginia Adventures. Rob runs a great little shop and has lots of guides with 20+ years of experience. They know where to crash and where to clean it, as their safety record on those big rivers will testify to. West Virginia is the place to see if you're looking for fun white water out east.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote