Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 06-07-2016   #1
Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Sportrail trailer- do I need to carpet the deck?

Just picked up boat and trailer last week noticed that the advantek deck on the Sportrail is essentially a OSB marine grade with some type of coating sprayed on. Does anyone here have a point of view on if I need to carpet the deck or some other covering? Thanks for any help looking forward to a great season.

Jfizzle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #2
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I've covered the floor and sides of my utility trailer with outdoor carpet, still
holding up after 15 years +...does reduce the wear-and-tear on equipment and knees.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #3
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
+1 on the outdoor carpet. Makes sliding heavy stuff on the deck much easier.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #4
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
My Sportrail "varnish" wore off due to the boat friction with my first transport. I've since carpeted, and it has held up well for the past couple of years.
asleep.at.the.oars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #5
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm about to re-deck my trailer and I'm thinking about monsta-liner but would also consider putting outdoor carpet on it as well. Right now it has indoor carpert and it's tough to get it dried without getting the raft off the trailer.

It would be cool to keep it carpeted but I would be concerned that outdoor carpet would still trap the moisture against the raft as well.
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #6
Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Yeah, someone had mentioned lenolium which was interesting I was thinking Trex for a bit but it's heavy and would have to drill out frame. Thinking the outdoor carpet would be best. Did you guys put it down with staples or some sort of glue?
Jfizzle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #7
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Glue of some sort. If I remember right, I sanded down the layer of spar varnish I put on first, which also was wearing off, and then used a lot (a gallon?) of contact cement. I used some sort of tight roll carpet from Home Depot, I think it was primarily an indoor carpet, but has held up well. It would stay soggy when I stored the trailer outdoors, but I can keep it in a garage now and haven't had a problem. Quite a few of the screws holding down the plywood have popped off, and I have re-screwed in quite a few places, so my carpet is now screwed on as well. I pre-drilled the wood & frame with a small bit and then used a self-tapping lath screw. I have the version with under-boat storage, and it was plywood decking for the raft. The cargo has boards (2x6ish) and the seal has held up okay on those.
asleep.at.the.oars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It's a trade off. Anything carpet or matting will cause the deck to rot. You'll get about 3-5 years before replacement depending on where u live and how much rot you can deal with. Also holds about 100# of sand. I went a different way- west marine sells real spar varnish the kind you waterproof a wooden boat with. Not the Home Depot stuff. Way slicker than any carpet and doesn't rot wood. Great to refinish oars too. Ran some of the new deckover grip paint where needed too. Over 10 years on this particular set up and only refinished the varnish once.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016   #9
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I don't have any pictures of my new set up, but I put to 18" wide 1/4" thick runners of HDPE sheeting on mine. Slides right off fully loaded for a multi-day with one person.

Stumbled on the sheeting at Menards in Gillette Wyoming. $60 for 4x8 sheet. I left simple sealed (deck stain) plywood in the middle for better grip. Perfect set up for me. I've never been a carpet fan and in fact added HDPE runners to my aluminum boat bunks (carpeted) years ago to help load on shallow ramps.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote