Old 05-01-2009   #1
Madison, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1997
Send a message via MSN to Jakerisch Send a message via Skype™ to Jakerisch
Sponsored Raft Race and Kayak Fest in Turkey

My friend Dave Manby is organizing a Raft and Kayak Festival on the Coruh river in Turkey in June. The event is sponsored by the naitonal brand of beer in Turkey.

Effes Brewery will pick up the lodging, transportation, and food while in Turkey for the forst 30 entrants. Participants just need to fly themselves and gear to Istanbul.

Details of the event are posted here:

[ Click here for link... ]

My brother Matt and I participated in the event a couple of years ago and it is a great time on one of the top 10 big water runs in the world. The Coruh is 70 miles of continuous III-V whitewater and is currently endangered by a series of hydro dams. There won't be many more chances to paddle this gem.

Our trip report can be found here:

[ Click here for link... ]

Daves contact info is on the event website or I can put anyone interested in touch with him for more info.

Below is the latest e-mail I recieved about the event:

The Çoruh River raft event has now been thrown open to kayaks as well. I have just had a meeting with the sponsors Efes Beer who want the event to be as big as possible (within limits) and as varied as possible. So there are 30 sponsored places up for grabs – 1st come 1st served. By sponsored I mean that we will pay for your transport at the event – Erzurum to Erzurum, we will pay your accommodation in Yusufeli during the event, we will pay for your food during the event and no doubt because of the nature of the sponsor business there may be some free “product” to be sampled! On top of there will be a prize pot which will depend on the numbers competing. Also help with transport of the kayaks from Istanbul to Istanbul.

More details can be found on my website [ Click here for link... ]

Pass this on to anyone you think might be interested.

Dave Manby.
[ Click here for link... ] for details of my book "Many Rivers to Run" and how to buy copies of the re-mastered and extended "Dudh Kosi - Relentless River of Everest"
Jakerisch is offline   Reply With Quote

kayaking, rafting