Old 03-04-2013   #1
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Spare Oars. Blade forward or blade back?

Seems like everyone i know with blade forward has cracked one when smacking into a rock. Any good reasons to run this way?

Only thing i can think of is the blade gives a resting spot for your oar when you ship your oars

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #2
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Seems like everyone i know with blade forward has cracked one when smacking into a rock. Any good reasons to run this way?

Only thing i can think of is the blade gives a resting spot for your oar when you ship your oars
You can still ship your oars with handle in front, just slide you spare oar keepers forward.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #3
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I do, but just because of my posilockers. If I need to use my spare I have to take the blade off. Having the blade in the front allows me to remove the blade and temporary stow it, then release the oar. The one time I had to do this without the blade forward it was a major pain. Also, I keep a strap on my oarlocks that I could use as a temporarly oarlock pivot if I needed my spare oar faster, or don't want to take the blade off. Having the blade up there would allow me to release the front strap on the spare oar, get the oar up into that other strap, and then release the oar's second strap. This is really just a super emergency contingency plan.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #4
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
I have wondered this. I have seen it both ways, about 50/50 and put mine in front until a very large person stepped on it and cracked the blade. Now I always run with the blade in the back. The friend that broke it graciously bought me a new blade, but I would hate to be on a trip and be one oar short.
You had me at 'Hey, Row'
kikii875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #5
Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
I always go blade back. Mostly for the passenger, the handle is a lot nicer on the legs than a hard sharp blade. Meaning jumping in the water, laying a leg over the side, etc.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.
hand8272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #6
., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
I go with the blade forward because it seems easier & faster to deploy that way.
Pro Leisure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #7
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
The only blades I ever see crack are carlisles. Doesn't matter if they are foward or back. Hell they don't even need to be on the boat. I have even cracked carlisles in the shop! Its just a matter of time for me. Thats why I don't buy carlisles anymore. Never broke a cataract. Never used a sawyer. Just my experience.
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #8
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Forward for me and that is only to rest the oars I am using on and I am a creature of habit.

I saw a boat run the hole in the bottom of Bernard ( some call it lower Haystack ) and he came out with one blade out at 90 degrees. I have banged a few things but I would almost rather bang the blade around than trash the handles.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #9
Jenks, Oklahoma
oar blades forward has worked best for me

I run a extra strap (happens to be colored orange) for the blade to slide into on the front of the frame to a dee ring. I do not use one of the frame to tube tie in straps. I do not position the blade so far to the front that it is set to break or hurt some one.

Then back at the handle end select a good spot that is easy for me to reach from the rowing seat.

Take another orange or red strap long enough to take a couple nice tight wraps around the oar shaft so it locks it in then to the raft frame. Position the cam strap lock lever so it is on top of the shaft so it is easy to push down.

Then when I need the spare oar, just press down the cam lever, holding the shaft and the wraps come loose, I slide the blade out of the front strap, use both hands to insert oar into the oarlock and away we go.

Does not take help from the passenger if I have one, do not have to crawl forward to wrestle the oar loose stay safe in the rowing compartment.

Never had a blade come close to cracking not Carlise or Cataract.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #10
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I run mine with the blades forward and with the blade in a large loop in front with one strap to undo at my side to get it out. The rationale here is that if I'm in a situation where I'm pulling out my spare oar, I don't want to have to turn it around 180 degrees before getting it into the oarlock.

The next question is, "how quickly can you get a spare oar deployed and what's involved?" Chances are you're going to be getting thrown around while you're doing it. If have to undo straps at each end of the oar, that's a lot of running around on your boat, and greatly increased potential for getting thrown out, before you can get your spare oar in the water.

Kind of like Okieboater, my rear strap is set so it's in a location and oriented so I can easily press the cam and the oar is freed, however the strap only goes around the oar shaft once, in a loop that's relatively tight. That said, it's wrapped around the frame a couple of times. This way, it doesn't interfere with getting the oar out and the strap stays on the frame until I can get things back together in calmer water.

The little slots on the Carlisle blades are great when traveling and lashing my oars to the frame, but I'd never run a strap through one on my spare.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote