Old 06-05-2013   #31
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Mine are blade forward. If I need a spare oar I don't want to turn it around.

rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #32
fat guy in a little boat
FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
i'm on stern mounts for commercial season up here on pumphouse. sternies are awesome for keeping the blade back. the handle through a loop up front and a strap from my frame through the blade on back. and that strap is right next to my tower, super close if i ever need it.
then again, it is pumphouse. if i drop an oar up here i might have to call a beer ruling on myself

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #33
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Oar on top inside the lock

Originally Posted by DoStep View Post

Originally Posted by LSB
Back. I find it gets in the way when it's in the front.
I set it up like Okie with a cam in the back within reach and a fairly tight loop in the front so I can undo the back strap and just pull the oar back and it's loose.

Ditto on both accounts. Blades seem more vulnerable in front and are intrusive to passengers, I never run blades in front, nor do most I run with.

Next question: Why not rig the spare inside of the oar tower rather than along side the tube?

I wouldn't likely do this with passenger(s), but there may be merits if running solo. I had a newbie friend rig it this way at a put-in, and a brief discussion occurred on why and why not with both options, he opted for outside the oar lock, but that was because he had a passenger (me). I also saw a photo on this forum (can't remember where) with it rigged inside the oar lock, reminding me of that discussion. Pros: It would probably improve protection and accessibility to the oar, particularly in Class IV or boulder strew runs. Con: It makes walking around the decks more difficult.

Let's hear it...

I run like that in my little boat with and without passengers (blade back) Oar can't get away as easy when you cut it loose. Tube protects both ends. It is not possible on my big boat with my towers. As long as it isnt dangling off the side like you see all too often.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #34
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Roguemeup View Post
If you are running big or technical water, the last thing you want to happen is for your spare oar tip(the paddle end) to get smashed or bent by virtue of the front of your boat getting slammed into a rock. In that scenario you want the oar tip loaded facing or toward the back of your boat. As has been posted, this also makes it quite easy to unleash your single cam and simply pull the handle end through its cam.

Those who load the oar tip facing forward argue that it is quicker because the oar is facing the proper way to slide into the oar lock. Again, the reality is that in big water, every second counts to get a new oar in place. It would simply take too much time to reach forward and have to release the paddle end from the cam.
So you only smash into rocks going forward? I usually miss those since I can see them coming. Some of my biggest rock smashes have been coming out of holes backwards and getting pushed into a cliff or wall before recovery. What do you propose for us backwardsass boaters?

I put the oar blade forward but I don't argue about it. Pretty sure I can change out my oar quicker than most. Not sure if you mean blade end or something instead of paddle .....from where I sit I can reach either end of my oar in about .03275 seconds. At the most.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #35
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1982
Usain Bolt....I had no idea you were interested in rafting....

I get what you are saying about being backwardsass. Doesn't really matter where your oar is if your a backwards...ass. I'm just foolin around.

My reference point for oar blade towards the back are for narrow chutes such as the middle chute at Rainie Falls on the Rogue River. Seen plenty of ripped up and/or flying spares because they were faced blade forward. I can easily see a backwards smash doing the same damage.

Roguemeup is offline   Reply With Quote