Old 09-29-2010   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
South Africa rafting?

Has anyone ever been boating in SA? Obviously a long was to travel with a raft and such, but was wondering what the options are. I don't really want to run with a commercial company either. If it comes to that I can figure that out. Anyone have any contacts or any info?

CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
you need to find Celiars Kruger or at least his book - run the rivers of South Africa.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Rafing in RSA

Rafting in SA is pretty hit or miss. It's generally rain dependent.

The most common runs are on the Orange River in the Richtersveld, the Doring River in the Western Cape, and a variety of rivers on near the southern coast. Durban is a decent place to base out of which gives access (with some driving) to the Umgeni, the Blyde, the Tuglea and the Buffalo further up into Zululand.

There are also some smaller runs up in kwaZulu like the Pongolo that are worth exploring. You'll need some time and a reliable 4wd shuttle vehicle if you want the flexibility to get out and explore on your own.

The best time to raft is usually between November and May.

Graeme Addison and the folks at the Southern African Rivers Association might be a good resource. Graeme has been involved in the RSA river scene since it's earliest days.

I've spent a fair bit of time on the rivers down there so feel free to hit me up if I can be of any assistance.

cooljerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Those are some good leads so far. I'll let you know if I end up making it happen and bug you some more. I'd be in kwaZulu for some surfing so that would work out. I'd probably end up being around Stellenbosch for the most part though. I guess this is a trip I'd like to throw some boating into more than go to boat. But we may also go to Mozambique, so I'd be too close to the Zambezi to not check that out.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Moz to the Zambezi would be a stretch. It's much easier to head north out of Jo-burg but you could make it happen. I'd highly recommend Moz if you can swing it - especially if you dive. You can his Sodwana Bay in kwaZulu for some good dives and then cross into Moz. The diving in Tofu / Inhambane is excellent and one of the best places in the world to see whale sharks. I have friends in both places so give a shout if you end up heading that way.
cooljerk is offline   Reply With Quote