Sotar strike - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-06-2016   #1

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Sotar strike

If anyone owns a sotar strike, do you mind adding a picture with your frame set up? Also, how does the boat handle in type 3-4 class rapids?

802flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #2

Paddling Since: 1994
I dont own a strike, but I just got done patching a gash in one. The boat has very little rocker and looks like a great fishing boat. I am sure it would handle rapids fine but would be a super wet ride. It would tend to punch into waves and holes as opposed to riding up on them.
Old 10-07-2016   #3

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
https://www.google.com/search?q=sota...awCHgQ_AUIBygC

there's a bunch of images in the link above - plus Spider has posted some pictures of one he made a frame for a few years ago. Search the buzz and ye shall find.

With that said, they are fairly flat, it will be a wetter ride as zbaird said but, that's not their wheel house. They're designed to buck the wind and row with minimal effort, which I'm sure they do. I contemplated buying one a few years ago and decided an SL was a better all around boat, which I now have and adore. If you can get one in the fall sale the SL isn't much more than a strike (they discount the sl by 20% and the strike by 10%). They run a smaller margin on the strikes to try and keep them competitive with the puma's and narrow otters. The other issue with a standard strike design is they only have two chambers in the tubes, not my favorite concept. If I ordered one it would have at least one more chamber, probably 2 (they cost $125 to add per baffle/valve).

Hope that helps.
Old 10-07-2016   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
Any one aware of streamtec? They have a raft that designed for fishing. Seems like a good alternative to the strike.
Old 10-07-2016   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
Any one aware of streamtec? They have a raft that designed for fishing. Seems like a good alternative to the strike.
As far as I'm concerned streamtecs are the worst possible design of a fishing boat going. They have outlandishly exaggerated bow
and stearn kick. They would suck in the Windand are ridiculously expensive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 10-07-2016   #6

Silverthorne, Colorado
I just moved to Bozeman so I'm trying to find a raft that can do a little of everything. Don't have the money to buy a drift boat at this point. Sotar strike looking like my best bet at this point.
Old 10-09-2016   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
I just moved to Bozeman so I'm trying to find a raft that can do a little of everything. Don't have the money to buy a drift boat at this point. Sotar strike looking like my best bet at this point.
if you have the money for a strike and frame, you could find a DB. You don't need a $10k adipose... There are usually plenty of $4-5K DB's on craigslist.

The boat really won't make that much difference. I ran a 13' hyside with a fishing frame for almost 15 years and I caught plenty of fish. My suggestion would be to save the money on a spendy new boat and buy a used one, figure out what you like and spend more days fishing and less days working to pay for a boat. Buying used; you'll be able to get most, if not all of what you paid back out in a year or two, then you'll have a better idea what actually matters in a boat.
Old 10-09-2016   #8

Silverthorne, Colorado
I appreciate the feedback. I thought a raft might be more versatile. After going to the Madison a few times this week, it seems 90% of people floating it are on drift boats. I think my limit would be 5-6k for a driftblat and trailer. The super puma by AIRE looks pretty good as well. Any certain brand or models you would reccomend for Montana? Thinking a 14-15ft DB would be plenty. I also see that Hyde sales refurbished DB on their site with trailers and a warranty.
Old 10-09-2016   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback. I thought a raft might be more versatile. After going to the Madison a few times this week, it seems 90% of people floating it are on drift boats. I think my limit would be 5-6k for a driftblat and trailer. The super puma by AIRE looks pretty good as well. Any certain brand or models you would reccomend for Montana? Thinking a 14-15ft DB would be plenty. I also see that Hyde sales refurbished DB on their site with trailers and a warranty.
You can successfully fish out of anything, I know that's not what you want to hear but they'll all get you down the river. Sure there are pro's and con's.... I personally would buy an old aluminum boat - why? they are the least cool boats on the river and usually several thousand less than anything else in the bozone. They work fine, are loud and a little colder in the shoulder season but have been the work horse in the pacific northwest for decades. I started out in a 15' wood boat - I loved it but it was a lot of upkeep...bought it for $600 and put a lot of work in it. Rowed it for a dozen years and sold it for $2500. When I moved to bzn, I had it and a 12' bucket boat raft. Both were on the water every weekend for many years (I had lots of friends that didn't have a boat, so both of mine were always used). Over the years I found that I was running the rubber boat 10:1 over the DB, that's when the wife decided we could pay some bills instead of occasionally use the DB. Worst decision I've ever made - I miss that boat. I still wouldn't use it much but I'd love it when I did.

Super puma's are popular here, the most popular are 142 otters (the narrower version) then odyssey rafts...after which it's hard to track. Seriously, anything will work but nothing you do the first time will be perfect. Don't over think it.... If you want to get into overnighters or have lots of people teach to row a raft will be your best bet. If you are going to pound the river and backrow your ass off for every foot of water, the DB is far superior. I've done both over the years and I'd like to have both, but if I can only own one the raft is definitely my choice. I'll take versatility over efficiency any day.
Old 10-09-2016   #10

Belgrade, Montana
This little boat would be perfect - 15' Drift Boat and Trailer

and you could buy this and have both!
13.5' Raft with frame and trailer or this Raft - Tributary with rowing frame & trailer

But if you want to drop a bit more and get into newer, fancier designs you could go with this:RO Deville 2008. A really nice, slightly older fishing machine...

or for versatility: 2016 AIRE Tributary 14' Raft with NRS Fishing Frame
I'm sure they'll be more as the weather turns colder...