Sotar strike - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-15-2016   #21

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Why don't you you like the sotar strike? I can get the strike for the same price as the AIRE D. I've heard of a lot of people using the super pumas here in Montana, but having the little extra room that the D provides would be nice.

802flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #22

Silverthorne, Colorado
My budget was 5-6 for the DB and trailer since must come as a bundle. I don't mind spending 4-5g on a raft and later this winter spending 1,500-2,500 on a frame. Neffs and Montana frame works are at the top of my list.
Old 10-15-2016   #23

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I'm not quite sure who your asking, but I do like the strike - I like the SL more as it is biger and more versatile, but I get it that it's not in the budget. The only things I don't love about the strike design is tube diameter and width. I really feel wider is better, I want bore buoyancy - I want to float higher. I've rarely had the problem where the boat was too wide - well there was this one time recently and it turns out my wife was right, but that's another story....

If you intend 90% day fishing floats any of the narrower, smaller tubed designs will work great. Given the choice where cost nor warranty were an issue, I'd get the strike in a heart beat. We've shown that cost really isn't much of an issue, but to me warranty is. Sotar has effectively the worst warranty in the industry as illustrated earlier this year on the buzz and Aire has hands down the best. Had this been in the forefront when I bought my sotar, I'd most likely be in a Aire right now. Thankfully for me, it wasn't an issue; I really can't imagine rowing a different boat - I adore my SL and wouldn't trade it for the world... So in short - I guess it sucks to be you right now, tough decisions all around. All I can say, is that once you get past this little hurdle and get a boat, you'll love it what ever it is - because it will be yours and you will have great days with it on the water.

So have you settled into the raft crowd or are you still thinking of a hard boat? Too many options aren't there?
Old 10-15-2016   #24

Silverthorne, Colorado
To many damn options haha. I'm buying it for fishing purposes.. I've been looking at DB and skiffs but I haven't come across a solid boat for a good price yet. I like the fact that must come with a trailer and everything you need to get on the water. If I could find a nice user skiff or DB for 5k I would prob hope on it...
Old 10-15-2016   #25

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Man you've been all over the board with this decision this year. I grew up in Missoula, fished out of strikes a lot (that's like THE Missoula boat) and driftboats. I live in Colorado now and have an aire. I would never pay money for a strike. I don't enjoy them because I think with frames and boat designs today there are better options. My opinion. If I lived in Bozeman or Missoula again I would 100% own a driftboat. There would be no decision to make. No raft will be as good as a driftboat and in Bozeman you can use a driftboat all over the place. There are like 3 places you can take a driftboat around Denver which is why I now own a rafT. Just buy a driftboat and thank yourself later.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016   #26

Silverthorne, Colorado
anyone row a skiff before? Seem quite a few of them on the Madison.
Old 10-16-2016   #27

Belgrade, Montana
Wow, commitment issues?

Yes, many. I still classify them all as drift boats...in general conversation as there isn't a drastic difference at the oars. Originally skiffs we're very low, meant to be sat in and fished - not standing with casting braces. The main advantage was low wind resistance and simplicity. The disadvantage was exposure to splashing and the size of waves the capt would be comfortable running. They've morphed over the years and the difference now between a low side DB and a skiff is minimal. In the next few years I plan on building a wood DB - it will be some sort of skiff/low side hybrid that will further blur the lines, at least in my eyes.

Have you gone over to RO? They make skiff's, low-sides and more traditional DB's... they also sell a shit load of used boats. He might even let you try something out if you're serious about spending money. But I think you need to make some basic decisions here, so you can focus your research.
Old 10-16-2016   #28

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
To many damn options haha. I'm buying it for fishing purposes.. I've been looking at DB and skiffs but I haven't come across a solid boat for a good price yet. I like the fact that must come with a trailer and everything you need to get on the water. If I could find a nice user skiff or DB for 5k I would prob hope on it...
Just saw this one - I must have missed it yesterday....

There are three boats in or near your price range. One traditional clackacraft for $4500 - great boat, probably more of those on the water than any other. 2nd is a 2008 ro deville (the camo one), a little above your price, but it is used maybe the price is negotiable. It would be my first choice of the group. The 3rd is a skiff, also a little above 5k but probably workable. Compare the deville and the skiff and you'll get an idea what I was talking about with the blurring of the lines.

RO Driftboats – Used Boats

I don't think you're really looking... I sent you a link for an awesome little 15' aluminum boat that was way in your price range... Might not look sexy but often the best fishermen don't drop 10k on a boat...just the wan'na be's do that.
Old 10-16-2016   #29

Belgrade, Montana
here's another - modern skiff for $4500: https://bozeman.craigslist.org/boa/5822428495.html

and another - an older SF skiff (one of the originators of the design): https://bozeman.craigslist.org/boa/5766880998.html

an older clacka - https://bozeman.craigslist.org/boa/5784580443.html

all in your price range and all good boats.
Old 10-16-2016   #30

Silverthorne, Colorado
I talked to RO and they are going to let me row one of their boats. I've actually talked to the guy who owns the Montana Skiff, going to check it next week. The clacka Lp 16, clacka eddy and the Montana Skiff all look good. I like the eddy as the design incorporates the design of a drift boat and Skiff.