Sotar strike - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-12-2016   #11

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I just want something that will last me for years to come. Buying a new boat gives me that peace of mind with the warranty. I'm pretty much set on the sotar strike. I'm going to keep an eye out on their website for in stock to see if I can grab one at a good price. I checked their fall sale and the SL were still fairly pricey. I will be adding at least one extra bladder. Now, I'm just debating fishing frames. I've seen Montana frame works deluxe frame, very nice but a little on the expensive side.

802flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #12

Rosa, At the bottom of the Lake
Paddling Since: 1996
Buying a used Hyde from the Hyde Family is an awesome experience. Just purchased one from them this winter and they treated me like a million bucks. They will even point you in the right direction for a fishing trip when you go to pick it up. I can also embarrassingly say they handle warranty work with the same expert professionalism.

The DB is amazing on lakes which allows one to enjoy that type of fishing when low flow or laziness or no shuttle situation strikes.

The raft is cool too.

0.02 cents.

No pictures of frames, so sorry for the diversion
GilaRobusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #13

Silverthorne, Colorado
Is there a website for the used hyside?
Old 10-12-2016   #14

Silverthorne, Colorado
A new hyside 13ft cost about the same as a new sotar strike... I plan on mostly floating the Madison, Missouri, Big Horn, and other smaller rivers in Montana and Wyoming.
Old 10-12-2016   #15

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
a 13' drift boat is very small. You would not be happy with it. Honestly don't go any less than 15' or 16'. Little DB's just don't carry nearly as much weight, so with 3 peeps you'll be drawing a lot of water. If you live here in MT, you will eventually be running 3 people on the water - it's more fishing time for everyone.

If you are in Bozeman, RO driftboats is in 4-corners. The link I sent a few days ago for the 2008 RO Devile is for sale at RO and is one of their boats with a lifetime hull warranty. Eddins is a great guy and his boats are every bit as nice as Hyde, Clacka, or any other. He sells a lot of used boats, drop by the shop and chat with him - you'll learn a lot.
Old 10-12-2016   #16

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
I just want something that will last me for years to come. Buying a new boat gives me that peace of mind with the warranty. I'm pretty much set on the sotar strike. I'm going to keep an eye out on their website for in stock to see if I can grab one at a good price. I checked their fall sale and the SL were still fairly pricey. I will be adding at least one extra bladder. Now, I'm just debating fishing frames. I've seen Montana frame works deluxe frame, very nice but a little on the expensive side.
If you want the peace of mind of a warranty don't over look the super puma or SDP. They are great boats and have, by far, the best warranty in the business. There are other frame builders that can put together a great fishing frame, probably for less.
Old 10-12-2016   #17

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
A lot of good advice here- if you're just gonna fish on day trips, get a driftboat. Something flexible like a Clacka. If you're looking to camp or row that class III/IV, get a 14' raft from a reputable manufacturer. Buy either used and in the long run they won't cost you anything when you change your mind.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #18

Donkey Town, Colorado
You should look at a 13' aire d. As a guide this is the best boat I've been in, also an insane whitewater boat with the best warranty in the biz. Why spend extra on a sotar especially with debacle of their warranty in a previous thread. You can get a aire with a frame better warranty and better boat(my opinion) for less than the sotar boat itself it's a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #19

Rosa, At the bottom of the Lake
Paddling Since: 1996
yes its on their main page
GilaRobusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #20

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
You should look at a 13' aire d. As a guide this is the best boat I've been in, also an insane whitewater boat with the best warranty in the biz. Why spend extra on a sotar especially with debacle of their warranty in a previous thread. You can get a aire with a frame better warranty and better boat(my opinion) for less than the sotar boat itself it's a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
FWIW, at list price an Aire 130D is $4199, a 13'6" strike is $4536. You won't get much of a frame for $337, but I guess it would be a start. I agree completely with the warranty comment. A super puma is $3149 - now, there's your free frame.