Old 10-30-2012   #31
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Long overdue, but I ran the Secesh for the first time this year.. Combined it with the SF Salmon (2nd time.) Those runs are awesome.

Also spent a day enjoying Hazard Creek and the upper Little Salmon at 2500cfs (put in below the waterfalls..) Had a great time as there are about five excellent drops in just a mile. We walked our shuttle.

Also had many days at the Boise Whitewater Park between 500 and 7000cfs. This is an excellent resource in the heart of the capital city of Idaho.

Competed in the expert division of the North Fork Championship and had decent results. Tied for 15th with three studs. Looking forward to doing it again next year. Happy with how I finished but might train more seriously next time and drink less beer beforehand.

Unfortunately, not the best year for tackling new runs, but I turned 30 and have a new girlfriend. She learned to kayak so I spent more days on class 3 this year than I had in quite some time, some of the most rewarding days on the river..

As usual got plenty of North Fork Payette laps in and only wimped out on Jacob's Ladder a few times. Also, I continued paddling the Dynamic Duo some, including taking the lady down the South Fork Payette - Canyon stretch. One day in April I left work early and made a lap on Succor Creek. That was about the only day it ran this year.

As I traditionally do, I did not lap Big Falls (low water) nor did I make it to the PNW.

I didn't run Lake Fork in McCall, didn't hit Goat Creek or the EFSF, didn't surf Gold Hole, didn't make it to the SF Clearwater or the Selway, and overall missed a lot of the things I hoped to do. But that will happen in your thirties.. Ughhh...

I made memories with good people and enjoyed these trips with my closest friends.

Micah Kneidl

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #32
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by jmcdannel View Post

I believe the Upper EFSF is from confluence to deadman. The Lower EFSF is deadman to bridge. Each of those sections is worthy of being designated separate sections since they vary in difficulty and are long enough to be a 1/2 day run each. So, that's why we need the "Upper Upper" designation for above YP. Right?
Ah, so the typical EFSF is really the UEFSF? Arghh, but it made for some good, inane camp discussions. Had some of the best of those this year, predominantly on the grand! consensii!

Wait, I also should not that I had a FD on Deubendorff in a Ducky - love that rapid.

Also did the lower SF Clearwater, the section that starts with "rock n roll" or something like that. Probably part of Mickey Mouse but previously I took out at the big private bridge.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #33
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999

North fork Blackfoot starts about 17:15 just a little bit of it super fun and really scenic area. We camped the night before at the trailhead than hiked early over all I think it took like 5 hours with hiking. No had no portages but logs could easily move at anytime. Enjoy
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #34
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Now that you mention it, I have had a good year with firsts for me:
- Little White at 3.6'
- McCoy Creek (WA)
- Portland Creek
- Little Luck Creek
- MF Feather
- Little Klickitat
- Abiqua Creek above the big falls
- Ohane
- Upper Upper Cispus
- Miracle Mile
- East Fork Hood

That makes for 16 of my 54 river days this year on new stuff.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #35
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Its really cool to see people ripping off pfd's on the rivers I call home. It makes me appericate them even more! But reading all these lists just made my bucket list longer.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #36
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
For low water and now having lived in 4 states this year I've racked up a good number of new runs. Thanks mike for the id/mt runs, flowtorch for WA/OR.

Glenwood Playpark to South Canyon

East Fork Lewis
Canyon Creek
NF Washougal
Upper Icicle
Top Tye (bottom mile)
Little Wenatchee
Fall in the wall
Opal Creek

Quake Lake
Big Timber
Snake from jackson lake damn to Pacific Creek
Snake river from Pacific Creek to Deadman
Snake river from flagg ranch to lizard creek
lake jackson

Shenandoah Staircase
VA lines Great Falls
Mather Gorge
Little falls
Lower Gauley
Savage Creek
Shohola Creek
Raymondskill Creek
Independence Creek
Otter Creek
Lower Moose
Atlantic Ocean

Boating season is still going in the east, especially with this extra water. More to come for sure.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #37
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
Firsts for Riley, 11 now, included Westwater and Shoshone. He thinks he's now ready for whatever comes up on vimeo, including the Stikine!
Dave - that got a true and very hearty LOL out of me. had a great time with y'all and our surprise serendipitous company, and look forward to getting back out with the fam again next season.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #38
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
New Runs for Me:

Upper Chetco River from Carter Creek to Steel Bridge long on the tick list of just about any anyone who knows of it, pulled it off this year, 4 day on the river IK trip

Devils Lake Fork of the Wilson River, day trip, backyard Class IV to our new house

Upper North Fork Lewis River starting at the base of Lower Falls, take out at Curly Cr. Bridge (2 day, 1 night self support trip) - have done this three times for work survey trips this fall, and have potentially 2 more trips if the water goes back down

Not New to Me:

NF John Day 3 night trip in the IK

Blue River IK day trip

Fall Creek IK day trip

Grande Ronde Twice (fully loaded rafts), once with the family for 4 days, once for a trip I donated for a fundraiser auction for 3 days

Lower Deschutes (fully loaded rafts for fishin)

Hope to get on the Grande Ronde again before the end of the year for a 4 day steelhead trip.

Hawaii Coming up for 2 weeks in November, 1 week at the Hilton, 1 week driving around and camping in the top top VW van

Not as much as I would have hoped for, but then again, we moved our household a 4 hour drive to a new state, bought another house, fixed up the old house pretty subsantially, and got it rented out
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #39
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Stayed in CO all season. Managed to get on a couple new sections. 61 days on the water so far this year. 23 of those were on Bailey, 6 on Gore.

Big Thompson- Idylwilde to Cherry Store
NSV-Proving Grounds
Arkansas- Pine Creek
Colorado- Ran the meat on Gore for the first time
NFSP-Also, ran Supermax for the first time

Hoping for snow and an awesome 2013 season!
coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #40
Well, it was a horrible year to live on the front range. I can claim personal all-time low water descents on Lower CC and SSV (during LOG). And a few Bailey laps kept the season from completely ending when I couldn't get out of town. And, I paddled a lot of low water class II with my daughter, which is always cool.

Yampa Canyon through Dino self support.
Rio Grande self-support, starting at top of Razorblades section, ending below Lower Taos Box. Favorably caught peak flow of the season on the Upper Box. Squeezed in an ELF Embudo, and another lap on the Upper Box in the same 4 days.

San Juan, Bluff to Mex Hat. Personal first. Family raft trip. Rad.
Mas Embudo, with okay flow.

Marsh Creek - MF Salmon - Main Salmon - Lake Creek Bridge. 6 day, 5 night self-support. Fun crew. Three nights of hot springs. One night of Mackay bar luxury (beer, steak). Probably the coolest trip of the year. Definitely the fastest 220 miles I've ever kayaked.
Lake Creek x2 for Paddlefest. Finally some stout class V!

My first, rather scary, rather magical, early morning solo descent of Vallecito Creek! Sometimes the worst ideas are the best ideas.
Big South

I think I ran Bailey, and I ran Gore once, as a warmup for,
Clark's Fork Yellowstone, The Box! As far as whitewater goes, this was certainly the biggest and best of the year.

Finally rafted Desolation. Great place to explore, and holy hell is it flat.

RHT raft.
RHT - Westy kayak.

Rio Chama. Self-support with my daughter.

Not bad for a drought year.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote