Old 04-02-2016   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Snake River (Jackson) Camping Recomendations

Planning a trip up to the Jackson area for late July to camp and run the class III section south of Hoback. The reservable USF campsites are long gone and I'm not really the KOA type. Questions... how challenging is it to pick up a "first come first serve" at the several USF sites nearby midweek in late July? Is there any other camping recommendations for the area? Driving up from Fort Collins with the family and would hate to be SOL on arrival for a camp. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

markfortcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #2
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2007
You should be able to get a spot pretty easy Monday through Wednesday. Thursday gets busier with Friday being the most difficult. Other options are Hoback canyon if you'd like to be closer to Jackson or Greys River canyon outside of Alpine. There's also camping around Palisades Reservoir.

windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #3
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
If you like Free Range camping, there tends to be a lot on the road to Granite Hot Springs, which is also where you put in for the Hoback. If you need pit toilets and tables, there is a Campground a couple miles from the hot springs, and about 7 miles from the put-in. The hot springs are definitely worth checking out!

There are also campgrounds along the Snake River between Hoback Junction and Alpine, but depending on the time of year, campsites are harder to come by, and are typically more jam packed then the Granite campground is (probably due to the 10 mile each way drive). Like I said though, if you can free range, there are some good sites up along Little Granite Creek, which is very close to the highway and put in (not so close you can see or hear the highway).
luckylauren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Not exactly sure what you are after, but on 3 trips through Jackson we I've stayed at the Gros Ventre Campground (Nat. Park Service) a few mile outside of Jackson. It has 355 sites along the river. On the first trip some guy gave us fresh caught and fried trout for breakfast. Yeah, its a big NPS deal, but even on the 4th of July we got a site and the vibe was fine.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016   #5
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1970
Wyoming in July

You should have a great time. I would be surprised if you need to bring a boat the last week of July. July 24 is a big Utah holiday with many taking the week off. On frequent late July days floating the Snake River between Jackson and downstream to Ririe, there are more Utah vehicles than all others combined.

We have often stayed at a small campground right on the Idaho Wyoming border. It is close enough yet far enough away to not be packed and crazy.

lyhfamily is offline   Reply With Quote