Old 05-15-2013   #21
Greeley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
sleep on the boat.

all the advice you need is already here. Paco pad across the boat, sheet or towel to pull over me around 3 a.m., tent fly handy if the rain came up. Some of the best sleep I've ever had, even with the patter of water against the boat. I did not like then other boats rubbing against mine, the sound was unnatural and kept me awake til I set up a preventative barrier.

We are here on Earth to do good for others. What the others are here for, I don't know. W.H. Auden
DocDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #22
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
If you can sleep in the boat, this is the way to go. I personally can't. At some of the camps there is way too much rocking, I'd end up ralphing in the drain holes.

I slept on a cot, each night I dumped water on the cot right before going to bed. I kept my sleeping bag in my drybag next to me. At some point through the night I would get cold and pull my sleeping bag over me. If you are sleeping on the ground or in a tent, don't setup your tent or your lay out your pad until you are almost ready for bed. This will give the sand some time to dissipate.

Speaking of sleeping, each night I had very lucid dreams that the river would flood in around my cot. A few times i would sit up and put my feet on the ground just to break the dream. Anyone else have this kind of (nondrug induced) experience?
Always enjoy water and boating dreams after a trip...extends the experience a bit.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #23
GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
Hey All,
Thanks for beta,data and all around good ideas. That's what I came looking for and it was well provided. My cats frame is 72" wide and 120" long and with a little work should be able to handle a cot sleeping arrangement. The dampened sheet trick also sounds like it might need a try. Possibly with enough beer and rum I will not even have to dip it in the water, I can just use the trickle down and wick method I developed as a small child. But that's another thread all together.
Thanks again for the replies!
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #24
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
There is a company that makes a product called Cocoon,

I have not tried the cool max. I just purchased one of their Egyptian Cotton liners. It was fine.

and it is the best for the hot nites on the Grand Canyon. Second best is just two sheets on top of a paco pad.

Of course the very best is sleeping on your boat. I think you said you had a Jag cat. This is what we use for a sleeping and people deck. note it is up in the air so that the produce underneath can be tended to. If you want to read more go to this site.

It is the first link at the top of the page.
jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #25
GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
My cat has flat space up front,the 150qt cooler and dry box covered partially by one of your fine Paco Pads, and space behind the rowing seat covered by two backboards. The backboards cover two drop bag compartments and convert to adjustable leg river tables if needed. I should be able to find an easy cot set up on this configuration. I will look into the cocoon as it sounds like it might just be the thing to tie this sleeping in the heat thing up. By the way, here is a shout out to the quality and comfort of your Paco pad that I have. Good stuff and a recommendable product.
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #26
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by gwheyduke View Post
Nipple Beers before bed!

Everyone grabs a beverage, wades into the water up to their nipples and enjoys one last beer before bed. No Chugging, just a nice relaxing end to the day. By the time you get out, you'll be cold enough to fall a sleep easily.
Stay in the water as long as you can stand it, and then dip your head in and you will be able to sleep through the night. Being on the boat helps also.
I have always been a boat sleeper. 40+ years in the canyon.
You had me at 'Hey, Row'
kikii875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #27
Lakewood, CO
Paddling Since: 1964
Try some cots that you can set up down close to the river.
Mark Leachman
mleachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #28
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It's all about how close you can sleep to the water without getting wet when the river comes up. Sleeping on the boat is by far your first choice. If you're not sleeping on the boat bring a cot. It'll make life SO much better. Not only does it get you off the hot sand but it keeps you above the red ants that are everywhere on Grand camp sites. Last forget your normal sleeping bag. Just get a silk sleep sack. $25-30 of well spent cash.

canton is offline   Reply With Quote