Old 05-15-2013   #11
G.J., CO
Paddling Since: 1990
I have one of those tent fans. It helps create a slight breeze all night. I've attached it to my boat shade for when I sleep on the boat. It even has a little light and a red nightlight for the boogyman.

Eddy Groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #12
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sleep on the raft. It's the only way Ive found to stay cool enough to be comfortable. It is possible to wet down sand/sleep on a cot, etc and you can get through...but not comfortably. Also try lots of tequila

chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #13
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
If you can sleep in the boat, this is the way to go. I personally can't. At some of the camps there is way too much rocking, I'd end up ralphing in the drain holes.

I slept on a cot, each night I dumped water on the cot right before going to bed. I kept my sleeping bag in my drybag next to me. At some point through the night I would get cold and pull my sleeping bag over me. If you are sleeping on the ground or in a tent, don't setup your tent or your lay out your pad until you are almost ready for bed. This will give the sand some time to dissipate.

Speaking of sleeping, each night I had very lucid dreams that the river would flood in around my cot. A few times i would sit up and put my feet on the ground just to break the dream. Anyone else have this kind of (nondrug induced) experience?
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #14
I went on a cat trip (with lots of drugs) when I got off of the river I had dreams/sleepwalking issues for three weeks. I would wake up convinced I was on a party barge raft floating through the nite in the flatwater, except that I knew we had passed the confluence and were heading for the rapids. I could see my surroundings (living room, cars when I slept in my truck etc) but could not end the dream untill I stood up. Was the most interesting dream experience I have had.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #15
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
We sleep on the boat when we can. We have two Roll-a-cots and they span across the walk boards on our cat. So far we've been lucky with the rain, but I'd like to rig something to handle that too. Thanks for the reminder that I need to work on that before our Sept launch.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #16

Get a big enough cat, and you can just pitch your tent there and not have to worry about long spells of rain.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GC 2010 -RP 035.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	6238  
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #17
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
Speaking of sleeping, each night I had very lucid dreams that the river would flood in around my cot. A few times i would sit up and put my feet on the ground just to break the dream. Anyone else have this kind of (nondrug induced) experience?
I always have lurid dreams after a multi-week trip. Usually along the lines of the river is rising.

However way back in my dim past, after a 20 day trip on the grand, back in the comfort of my humble abode, my future ex-wife rudely woke me as I was pleasantly peeing off the side of our bed. I always set up my cot near the river line for cooling affects in the summer....guess I still thought I was on the river. sigh
kayakingphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #18
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
I sleep on the boat with just a sheet. If you sew it into the shape of a sleeping bag. that works too. Cacoon makes a cotton liner that works real well. I tried that but here is my rig with the deck up so you can see the produce in the bottom. Hope you can do something like that with your Jag cat. it really works and takes a lot of stress off the cooler.
here is the web address for cocoon cool max material.

That is what I would do.

By the way one year we left in mid august, and were wearing jackets in the furnace flats area because of the monsoon weather. You should have so good. better than clear water and hotter than hell.
jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #19
Clark, CO and Park City, UT, Colorado and Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
Mid-August is Monsoon season so you should hopefully have consistent afternoon downpours (not light drizzles- downpours). These usually start around 3ish and should help to cool the rock a little in the afternoon reducing the nighttime temps, but the rains will usually never happen a night because monsoons are a product of heat so it is unlikely that you will actually need to set up your tent. It will still be hot, but you can leave a water bottle of two in the river and then sleep with that like an awkward plastic teddybear. this will stay cool throughout the night and is a good alternative if you find that wet cotton makes you too cold even on hot nights.
teleman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #20
Cheeba Chew: Indica Best night of sleep in a long time.

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote