Old 06-06-2015   #1
Cave Creek, Arizona
Sleeping on the boat

Interested to hear from those who sleep on their rig regularly during multidays. Weather you just sleep on a paco over your decking or have one of those raft tents, please share you experiences here. Also What do you differently for bad weather?

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #2
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Yes I do. Sport brella makes for a sweet shelter. Careful in bear country with coolers and stuff. Have not had issues but it is something to think about. I'll dig up some pics.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #3

When you have a 20' boat, you can pretty easily pitch a tent on the deck if you feel the need. This camp was the start of two days of almost solid rain.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GC 2010 -RP 035.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	10022  
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
i made wood decking for my 4bay frame, beveled out four holes (not all the way thru the decking). This is where my legs from a roll-a-cot fit in to. I cam strap both ends to the frame for extra stability. works great on my 14 ft raft, sleeping perpendicular to boat (across front bay). I too have used the sportbrella, and it was pretty good, even in a big T-storm. But just recently got a sil nylon tarp that i can guy out to 4 d-rings and use two trecking poles to keep up. works well.
UTMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #5
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
On the Main last summer, I slept on a Paco Pad across the front bay poly board. I took a Black Diamond Mega Mid but never really got the hang of setting it up. To be fair we only had two nights of rain and I never gave it much of a college try. I ended up just pulling a tarp over me. This year I'm taking a Nautilus beach umbrella.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #6
Paddling Since: 1994
I used to sleep across the deck. After losing a pillow years ago I decided to sleep longways. I have a board (2 if there are 2 of us) that is the size of my drybox. It lives on top during the day and I flip them 90 at camp and that covers the captains well, spans the drybox and cooler and makes for a nice big platform.

If the weather is bad enough that the tarp wrap wont cut it, my tent has the freestanding fly option. It is nice because then you dont have to get things in the tent and you have access to the whole boat. Its a 3 man tent and fits great on the boats. It gets to the outside of the tubes on the 12' and to the mid point or so of the side tubes and covers the front bay and the center on the 16'. It gives enough room to get into drybags and such inside.

The only downside with the over the drybox/cooler system is that you have to plan ahead for what you need in the morning or you have to shuffle a little.

I have run the motor pod with the tent rig setup on bad weather days on trips where you run a party barge and it has been a hit for people getting out of the rain or needing a nap. I picked up a family fighting the wind when I was running a triple rig through the moab daily one time. Pretty sure I saved their marriage.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #7
Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I had a front bay with a hatch lid and brought a small board to fit over the cans in the foot well to make a full sized bed area. I then used two poles with a mega mid tent. Worked great as long as the eddy was calm.
trevko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
We run a few straps as joists between the frame bays, which is just enough support for the 6" Kelly air bed. Guy out the corners of the double wide bag so the wind can't get it and it's pretty comfy. Bimini pulls up quick for a light shower, tarp over that if it's windy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015   #9
Cave Creek, Arizona
Thanks for the replies so far guys. For those of you that do use a tent or shelter of some sort on your boat, how tall do you like it to be? Do you change and such in the shelter or just catch some ZZZZs?
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015   #10
18 ft avon with a mega mid attached to the 4 corner D rings, then your foot bay is room for sitting, its basically a 5 star accommodations on a raft. good for summer grand trips.

willieWAO is offline   Reply With Quote