Old 08-21-2014   #21
Meridian, Idaho
Originally Posted by jmcdannel View Post
Every time I see a Boise Army Navy rental boat at the Staircase put in, there will be carnage and I'll spend my time rescuing, then lecturing. Every. Time.

Early season Boise State rentals on the main Payette as well. Seen all 4 rafts in a group follow in line into a big hole and flip with young kids in them this spring. Half without PFDs on, PFDs were in the boat but they "were past the only rapid that could cause them a problem" Luckily I had 3 people on my raft who bailed out, gathered the rafts and got them down to the takeout. A 9 year old girl was stranded on the train tracks alone and unaccounted for over 30 minutes. Pretty scary stuff. I have made a poor decision or two, and ran some worse than questionable gear, but puting yourself in a situation where young kids end up in the water without a PFD is too far.

Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #22
Meridian, Idaho
In order to not seem holier than thou from that last post I have been the one being pulled out. In 1999 I was the guy in the rental boat. In bigger water than I should have been, and out of practice as it was my first run of the season. I took a bad line through Granite in Hells Canyon at an out 30,000. Both the boat and myself were pretty seriously pummeled. I was able to get back onto the upside down raft but lost my helmet and had been badly cut. A kayaker had seen the carnage, paddled over and towed me to the side. He also was a former combat medic and was an ER doctor. He put 8 staples in my head, 6 stitches in my shin, and helped me patch my tattered vessel. He was solo so he hung out the rest of the trip with the group and we all had a great time. To this day I keep extra beers and jerky around to chum the kayakers. I have pulled a few of them out of the water since then but the only time I have really truely needed help it was one of those pesky kayakers that got it done.

Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #23
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
I seldom see anyone with a worse setup than my first overnight run.

Critique my Rigging!!
Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #24
Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Holy Shit! My youthful intro to whitewater was in a Redshank that a friend and I paddled (or did it paddle us)10 miles down Tonto Creek at flood. Horse collar PFDs, blue jeans and cotton shirts + cold water and air. I still boat that reach but now its in a canoe and with proper gear.
I still shiver when I see folks at a put-in getting ready to take some pool toy into the unknown. When they have their family along I usually say something to them like, "Do you have any idea how bad your day is about to become"? Generally, the smarter
woman in the group always perks up at that and refuses to go along with the stupidity.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #25
Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1408752921.158679.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	702.9 KB
ID:	8867
To be honest, I did not see this on the water but at the ramp. I would have liked to ride on it if I was 20 something again.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
snakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #26
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Looks legit!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Sherpa9543 is online now   Reply With Quote