Old 08-20-2014   #11
fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Explorer 200

You may have heard of a fine little vessel called the Explorer 200. A dear friend of mine has several class 4/4+ runs under his belt in that puppy. Upper Ocoee and Upper Gauley for sure, although he has probably added to the list by now.

jortsKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #12

Actual story. A couple of folks drifted into the Westwater ranger station a few years ago in the raft depicted in the photo. Yes, that is styrofoam...

They had come down from Grand Junction, and told us they intended on running both Westwater and Cataract Canyon, on the way to some destination on Lake Powell.

Needless to say, they went no further.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WW Junk Raft.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	8865  

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #13
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Great cold weather gear for the upper Clackamas, ski jacket, hat, gloves & blue jeans. To keep the feet dry they used baggies and duct tape. I saw this on a January run, it was snowing so the ski jacket made some sense. Hey they did have pfd's
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #14
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
My favs

Sandy River Dodge to Lewis and Clark Park, (like 20 miles?) a young couple in a 16' Coleman canoe. Orange cheap PFD's, no flotation, cheap plastic paddles. 2 point pinned on the rapid leaving the put in. He wouldn't listen to a damn word I told him. We rescued them and got them on shore river right, and left their canoe on river left. (On the island right above Pipeline)
Same summer, about a month later. North Santiam at Packsaddle park. a college couple, uninformed but he listened. They were planning on going down to Mehama bridge, 15 miles away, then bike back to their truck. 16' Grumman aluminum canoe, similar equipment.
I told them there were a few rapids they should at least scout, and most likely portage. We invited them to stay in our group for the day, and they did. We got them around all of the big rapids, and they took out with us at Mill City and we gave them a lift back to the truck. We took out at like 7 pm that trip, and they would have had 8 more miles to go, and a bike ride after that
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #15
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Every time I see a Boise Army Navy rental boat at the Staircase put in, there will be carnage and I'll spend my time rescuing, then lecturing. Every. Time.
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #16
Steamboat, Colorado

Hahahaha.... hindsight.....
Night rafting down the steamboat town run in the high runoff of the 08 season. We had a shitty Sea Eagle or maybe even worse a Stansport or Sevylor 4 man (400 lbs- I don't know what "man" weighs a hundred pounds these days) raft loaded up with 6 people (two girls, a little person, and three men with too much testosterone), an old school Maglite, a failing head lamp, and of course a case of PBR. As you can imagine we had to bail out a few times down the run. Not to mention there was only one of us not wearing jeans and a sweatshirt, it was, afterall, midnight in Steamboat in May on the river.... oops. Good times though..... haven't we all had our moments?
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #17
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Boats on private trips rowed by people proclaiming and announcing, "I'm a raft guide" not on their daily "forward 2" run.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #18
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by treemanji View Post
Boats on private trips rowed by people proclaiming and announcing, "I'm a raft guide" not on their daily "forward 2" run.

Not sure what you mean about the "daily forward 2" part. Please elaborate.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #19
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Camped at the Bench and these two guys float by in a duckie. Horse collar jackets, floor torn out of the boat, getting dark and rainy.

Turns out they launched at the bridge near Kremling, so yeah they ran Gore canyon. Some wit in town told them that was the launch point for the "mellow float" to state bridge.

Told them they should probably land at Rancho and get a ride to State Bridge. They declined hot drinks, better jackets, etc. They just wanted to keep going. never did hear did they make it.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #20
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Best one I've seen was group of 12/teeners putting in at Shoshone running 4 grand. They had an assortment of Walmart tubes, one of them a fishing style float tube(where your legs dangle in the water) no PDFs, and the kid in the fishing tube didn't know how to swim. Wish they had go pros.... Other than that any weekend on the upper C is booze fueled amature hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote