Shoshone Boat Ramp Advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-30-2016   #1

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Shoshone Boat Ramp Advice

So I end up driving past Shoshone all the time for the Utah trips. Every time I drive by Glenwood I am drooling at the clear rapids of Shoshone.

My problem is that I dont have the trailer size to show up at the Shoshone Ramp with my 16' oar frame all inflated, rigged, and ready to go. I know the Shoshone Ramp can be super packed with commercials and I hate being in other's way while inflating. I can get inflated and rigged in 45 min, but that is a long time if the ramp gets crowded.

Any advice? Is there specific times the commercials try to launch? Would someone be ticked if I was rigging at 830 on Tuesday at the ramp? Is there any commercials in town that would let me throw my inflated boat on their trailer? Are there any shuttle services in Glenwood? Thanks.

JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2016   #2
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Sho Sho is a ramp you must carry down, of course. You should have your rig at the curb long enough to get everything off and carried down to the apron, then it should get out of there. Have your crew shuttle the trailer down to South Canyon while you inflate and rig. They should return in a car ideally for there is no trailer parking.

The commercials will not likely toss you on a stack. They WILL help you carry a boat down to the apron if they pull up behind you. They will also remind you to get that trailer on it's way out of there.

I have bike shuttled from Glenwood (Two Rivers Park) and from South Canyon. Riding the side of I-70 in South Canyon sucks but it is over quick. The bike path from Glenwood to Sho is dreamy, of course.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #3
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Just re-read your post and I realize you are rolling WITHOUT a trailer. That's easier. Pull up to the front curb spot, unload the package (keep room for boats to be carried past), re-park the truck in one of the spots, then carry down to a far corner of the apron to rig.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Justin, sounds like it's time for you to start thinking about a toy boat.
Something like a shredder or minnie max could be a blast down there! And think of all the time and work you could save getting on the water for all the short trips. Not to mention saving some ware and tear on your gear hauler.
Also, the N+1 number of boats needed formula, is very clear on the topic....
Old 07-30-2016   #5

Woodland Park, Colorado
I do have a trailer that I use, it is just too short for my 16 foot maravia. I was driving back from a hot Deso trip this weekend and Shoshone looked mighty cool and refreshing. Thanks for all the advice.
JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #6
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmfnL View Post
Just re-read your post and I realize you are rolling WITHOUT a trailer. That's easier. Pull up to the front curb spot, unload the package (keep room for boats to be carried past), re-park the truck in one of the spots, then carry down to a far corner of the apron to rig.

I second that, been there done that, left the big coolers and dry box at home and have rigged on the boat launch ramp at the Far East side of it. They have an electric pump there to facilitate inflating the boat.
Old 07-30-2016   #7
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Just show up with your crew. Two is enough. carry your stuff the short distance down the ramp. Pack light so you can move out of the loading zone within 5 to 10 minutes. Use the electric pump and rig while the other person runs shuttle since you can't park there. A third person is very helpful if no parking is available at Shoshone to run down to Grizzly and jump on there. Drink a cold beer.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #8

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Honestly in a 16' oar rig these levels would not be very exciting or challenging. Spring flows (before much commercial traffic) would be better suited for your boat. Don't get me wrong waves are waves, but summer weekends in there are insanely crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016   #9
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
It's still fun at these levels in a 16' raft. I'd run it every weekend if I wasn't going other places!