Old 03-05-2015   #1
Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
serious question about kayakers

Dear Abby, A good friend of mine is a kayaker, he's the one responsible for getting me hooked on rafting.
I finally bought a 10.5 raft. Well the other day he invited me on a trip in the spring on some technical creek in Idaho.
He said he wanted to see me "boof" my raft. Should I be concerned? Can he fit a banjo in a piranha? He asked me to "carry some gear" for him. I guess my wife's and my concern is I may be defiled, we've all heard stories about kayakers? Are they true? I want to go on this trip but don't want to hear how "Purdy" my mouth is and I can't really squeal like a pig.
Your thoughts please on my conundrum. This trip sounds like fun till the tent sharing part comes into play.

sammyphsyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Sleep with a gun. Carry your gear, you buy beer!

Dude, I'd see you on the river but I'm hardly ever out there.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #3
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
id be more concerned about your boating skills to run a technical creek in Idaho in spring time...
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by GratefulOne View Post
id be more concerned about your boating skills to run a technical creek in Idaho in spring time...

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #5
Steamboat, Colorado
Dear Sammypsycho:
Dude. Deliverance was based in Georgia. The guys were in canoes, not kayaks... And it was the weird inbred locals that raped them and made them squeal like pigs, not their fellow canoeists.
I guess if your buddy's sittin there playin the banjo at camp and you suddenly hear another banjo in the background, then maybe you should worry.
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #6
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by GratefulOne View Post

You should spend your time learning to run your new boat instead of trolling kayakers. One day the words "grab onto the loop" may sound like an angelic choir to your chundered, soggy, whupped ass.

Welcome to rafting. Take your coworkers out on a few splashy trips and you'll be over the Deliverance-themed jokes by the end of the season.

Be safe,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #7
Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post

I'm new to rafting but not paddling. I have about 10 years of canoeing, currently I have a 13 foot mad river whitewater canoe. We run the creeks here in ND IN THE spring or when ever we get a lot of rain. I'm cool with class II stuff anything bigger and it takes on a lot of water. Trying to navigate a swamped canoe sucks.
sammyphsyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #8
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Dear soggypants,

Kayakers can no more change their ways than the sky can change from blue to orange. Beneath their gruff, drunken exterior most are gentle little butterflies that blow away at the thought of getting cold or sleeping alone or running out of alcohol. Keep them well supplied with the things that they need and one day you may find yourself like a flower, wilting in a chaotic torrent and you may need a butterfly to float in and make it all better.
It is a beautiful symbiotic relationship that inspires greatness in both parties. Both of your species have developed specialized skills and attributes to help the other survive. Respect the grand creator of all that is (Eric Jackson) and you will be fine.

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #9
Paddling Since: 96
I get sooo confused with these kind of threads, and there are a lot of them on this board. I never know who to hate on, or with. I'm a former open boater, I paddle a creek boat 100+ days a year, I've been to multiple Freestyle World Championships to root for my son and many other friends and I love multi day trips whether kayak self supporting or rowing a raft. My gf just got a minimax so I can't even hate on R2ing now. WTF?

I'll tell you WTF. The rio is what we all love and have in common and if you aren't bringing the love for all your brothers and sisters of the rio then you haven't learned the most basic boating lesson yet.
Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #10
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
What creek are we talking about here?

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote