Selway cataraft - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Selway cataraft

Any thoughts on going with larger cat tubes, such as Leopard 18' size or fat 16's on the Selway for an early July trip? Most of the older posts I've read talk a lot about the Grand and some MF Salmon trips with bigger cat tubes, but can't find much about if the Selway is too technical for such a large boat.

The reason I ask is I need to carry prob two passengers, maybe even more plus gear and my other tube sets are too small. Plus my dory is prob not the best option for that trip

Thx.

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
Any thoughts on going with larger cat tubes, such as Leopard 18' size or fat 16's on the Selway for an early July trip? Most of the older posts I've read talk a lot about the Grand and some MF Salmon trips with bigger cat tubes, but can't find much about if the Selway is too technical for such a large boat.

The reason I ask is I need to carry prob two passengers, maybe even more plus gear and my other tube sets are too small. Plus my dory is prob not the best option for that trip

Thx.
My personal opinion would be take a raft. Especially if you are needing to take passengers, it's really a no brainer. If you had a small lightweight cat boat and were solo it would be fun. But, if you want to take gear and passengers I would take a 14' raft or preferably a 16' if you are pretty used to technical low water runs such as the top of the MFS. Whatever you do don't take the dory. They only one I ever saw run the Selway ended up smashed on rocks in the left side of Ladle rapid. The owner eventually got it off but had to do some major repair work at camp.
DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Was just joking about the dory. Have an early season Deso trip in mind for that, plus maybe some day the GC. Don't want a raft, already had one. Plus I already have the frame and can add one small storage module and have a good set up, just need the tubes.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I led a June 15, 2015 trip that featured an 18' Aire Jaguar hauling gear and a passenger. The Paradise gauge was 2' and dropping, so it was low with some really tight chutes to squeeze through and abrupt drops, especially day 1. He had no issues getting wedged anywhere, so I think your approach is sound.

Have fun!
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

cedar city, Utah
I wouldn't want to be running a long, heavily loaded Cat at the flows I saw, roughly 1.5 feet at launch. I was very happy to be solo and light in a 12' SB with a July 4th-ish at those levels. Pinball, Ham and Ladle come to mind as rapids in which the scenario you describe could be a noticeable handicap at low flows.

Solo, no problem. Two passengers and gear on a Cat mid-July with 94% snowpack seems rough.

Early in the season to predict though. Lots of snow to gain or lose in the next few months.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Can't say how it would do on the Selway, but along the lines of Cat tubes... How about a set of 16' lion tubes? Would give you about the highest floatation you can get in a cat that length,( Nrs kodiak or JPW El Tigre are .5" bigger diameter, not sure how waterline compares) for the best price in that size tube, plus a ten year warranty. Longest maximum frame length, 144". Could be the best option if you decide to go cataraft.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Thanks Philip. Got the same exact info from a personal conversation a little earlier today. Maybe will take both the 15' and 12' cats but not sure if other rowers are quite ready for the Selway yet.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
My 15' el tigre tubes do awesome in elf MFS and huge water main trips. All just depends on not overloading.

Sent from my XT1585 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I think it comes down to who the passengers are. It would be nice to have 2 people who could help push off rocks of drag over a gravel bed. But I would not want to push dead weight. If your crew will work and follow orders, then your good with a big cat. Make your crew wear good water shoes!
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post

Solo, no problem. Two passengers and gear on a Cat mid-July with 94% snowpack seems rough.

From my back yard I can almost see the SF Clearwater. I was up on the Hump two weeks ago making backcounrty runs from a snowmobile. I've done this sort of thing since 1995. I'm here to say. Visual observations do not support data from snowtel. Have not been to east side of selway drainage but it would be hard to think that the snow is not similar to the west side. The snow is heavy and wet. Just feels like way more than 95%. I have never had as much snow at my place as I do this year. I had one evening where I was making pow turns in 3 feet of snow at 3300 feet above sea level. I still have 2 feet. Snotel says 150% to the south and 150% to the north?? I have a hard time believing that in the middle there was 90% snow?????

I could be wrong, I once went left, should have gone right..

Tags
cataraft